CairnTalk

Potty Training Advice Needed

Rate this topic

Pogo Taishi E.

Hello everyone,

Hope y'all had a wonderful holiday!

Our Pogo - a 12 week old cairn boy, was brought home on 1/1/2021 from a breeder. He knows how to go potty on pee pad pretty well, but as long as we take him outside, he doesn't use bathroom at all, and he pees right away after we bring him indoors. We are currently training him how to walk on a leash properly too because he is not used to having a collar and leash on him, and we are also trying to have him on a schedule of eating and potty regularly.

What kind of deworm thing he should use at this age if I take him outside? I'm in VA.

Any advice on it? 😊

Many thanks,

Pipphy and Pogo

As you will find out through some of my posts I am all for integrated  veterinary medicine. Meaning I don’t vaccinate after the puppy shots are complete but do titers...Alberta does not require yearly rabies vaccines. I also don’t just worm my dogs...I occasionally do fecal tests at the clinic just to make sure there are no parasites, and have never yet had to worm after Sams breeder  had wormed him. We got Sam at 12 weeks also. 

I have never been a fan of having pee pads down, because to me it teaches the puppy that it’s ok to pee in the house. We pretty much have our dogs potty trained in about 6 weeks. It takes a lots of walks out in the garden praising them like they have just won a race, and when we can’t be around them for a Couple of hours, have put our pups in an x pen, crate with the door removed, newspaper on the floor and a bowl of water. They learn very fast that they don’t really want to potty in a confined space.

Just my own preference in regards to collars, I don’t care for them and have always used a body harness. I don’t like the pressure put on their necks and thyroid. 

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

You're going to have to outlast him outside. He currently thinks he's doing the right thing by waiting to get back inside.  

Sometimes a walk will get the job done, but better to simply wait him out. Don't make the mistake we did, which was walk them until they did their business and then take them back in.Take him for a walk (or just have playtime) AFTER he pees or poops. That will (eventually) teach him to get the job done first. Otherwise he'll put it off because peeing late in the walk (or playtime) will signal the END of fun, rather than the beginning of it.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

16 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

As you will find out through some of my posts I am all for integrated  veterinary medicine. Meaning I don’t vaccinate after the puppy shots are complete but do titers...Alberta does not require yearly rabies vaccines. I also don’t just worm my dogs...I occasionally do fecal tests at the clinic just to make sure there are no parasites, and have never yet had to worm after Sams breeder  had wormed him. We got Sam at 12 weeks also. 

I have never been a fan of having pee pads down, because to me it teaches the puppy that it’s ok to pee in the house. We pretty much have our dogs potty trained in about 6 weeks. It takes a lots of walks out in the garden praising them like they have just won a race, and when we can’t be around them for a Couple of hours, have put our pups in an x pen, crate with the door removed, newspaper on the floor and a bowl of water. They learn very fast that they don’t really want to potty in a confined space.

Just my own preference in regards to collars, I don’t care for them and have always used a body harness. I don’t like the pressure put on their necks and thyroid. 

Thank you Sam! The collar I was using was the training leash, so it's loose on the neck, and he learned so quickly, after several training sessions yesterday, now I don't even need to pull the leash at all and he was able to walk next to me. I am very impressed by his intelligence!

He was trained to be using pads at the breeders place, and on the first day we picked him up, it was pouring outside and cold, he was shaking so we had him use bathroom indoors. And we've noticed that he sometimes likes to sit on the pad and play with his toys. Every time I saw it I redirected him onto his blanket. And I took the pee pad away. His set up before at the breeders was like there is pee pads underneath the crate, so he peed whenever he wanted to. Do you have any good advice on how to break this kind of habit?

15 hours ago, bradl said:

You're going to have to outlast him outside. He currently thinks he's doing the right thing by waiting to get back inside.  

Sometimes a walk will get the job done, but better to simply wait him out. Don't make the mistake we did, which was walk them until they did their business and then take them back in.Take him for a walk (or just have playtime) AFTER he pees or poops. That will (eventually) teach him to get the job done first. Otherwise he'll put it off because peeing late in the walk (or playtime) will signal the END of fun, rather than the beginning of it.

That's a really good idea! I will make sure he gets fun time after he uses bathroom so that it's not an end of play time to motivate him. He peed outside last night and this morning, and as soon as he comes back he peed again and pooped right away. I'll try your method to see if he changes a bit😇

Pee/poop first, praise him. Then walkies/play after. It doesn't have to be a long walk Just a stroll around or a short play.

Since he thinks he's supposed to go on the pad it may take a while till he realizes where he should go. Agree with Brad - wait him out - it will require patience at first but he will learn

• 1 month later...

You need to "catch the dog doing right", so up your chances by taking him out 10 minutes after he eats /drinks.  Chances are good that he will need to go.  When he goes, shove a treat in his mouth while he's still "going", and pick a phrase that you want him to learn.  We used, "Do your dog business" with the pup we just lost, and he KNEW what that meant. 

We also strung a set of bells under the kitchen peninsula right next to the back door, and when we were training him, we pushed his nose into the bells (so he'd learn to ring them) and said, "Time for dog business".  He learned quickly that when he rang the bells, someone would open the back door so he could run outside. 

I agree with the above poster who says NO to puppy pads.  You're teaching him that an indoor option exists.  Unless you want to keep that up, don't use it as a crutch now. 

Off-topic, but if you have carpet, consider getting a Bissell Spot Bot (other brands probably work well too).  The dog we just lost had seizures, so we frequently had to clean up carpet messes.  That little thing is THE BEST.  We call it Lady Macbeth -- you know, "Out damned spot". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Good advice. We use "Hurry up" :P 

Love the bell. We used one for a while and because we used a different method to train each dog (our first two, about a year apart) we could tell who rang the bell by how they rang it. It worked great! Until one decided the bell was actually a butler pull and started using it just to summon us to the door, only to turn and stare up at the bowl of Charlee Bears. Who says dogs can't generalize?!

• Haha 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club