CairnTalk

AKC standard weight?

rfin

Hi Folks,

If the US AKC standard weight is about 14 lbs, why are there so many Cairns being bred to be quite a bit larger, even up to 30 lbs and more?

Is there a weight cut off for inclusion in AKC competitions?

There is no disqualification in the AKC standard, therefore there cannot be a cutoff, procedurally. 

Size/weight is or has been arguably one of the most divisive, lighting-rod, third-rail issues in the breed (and in the clubs) for ages. 

You're not liable to see any 30 lb Cairns in a show ring (at least I hope not). You will certainly see 16 or 18 lbs.  I've shown a 13-14 lb bitch and she was mocked as small; a very nice 14 lb male was appreciated and finished, but not specialed as too small — or at least not fabulous enough to overcome being ... standard size. 

Casually bred Cairns —  "just pets" and "I don't show, too political" — push the latitude even farther. Overfeeding clouds the issue. Everyone swears their dog is perfectly fine, their vet said so, and it's all muscle. :) 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks Brad.  We've been looking for a small (14 lb) male or a pup to grow to that, but no luck.  There's one pup we might go for with a 14.5 lb sire, but a 21 lb dam.  The pup's in the middle of the litter in size and the litter is smaller overall than her previous litter.  But as a male, he'll probably at least hit 16 lb if not a lot bigger.  Having had a dozen over the decades and all about 14 lbs, it would be nice to stay in that range.

It's bad enough that the AKC is a beauty pageant and disregards the character and instinct the dogs were bred for, but to then steroid the looks totally defeats the purpose of "standards".

Thanks for the input though.

R

As long as a  registered breeder breeds healthy genetically tested parents, hopefully producing healthy pups,  I personally don’t care if the Cairn weighs 14 lbs or 20 lbs.  I get very leery of “standard size and confirmation” as it’s been the ruin of many a fine breed, producing dogs that are crippled (German Shepard’s) , can’t breath, (Bull Dogs) and the list can go on for ever. The breed should represent what they were originally bred for, not just alone for appearance in the show ring.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie