CairnTalk

Burdock burrs

DogsSmarterThanMe

So Dixie comes trotting up the driveway completely covered in the tiny burdock burrs. I suspect the husky had a helping paw. Suggestions for deburring?

Ooo boy, if those are the burrs I'm thinking of (about the size of a peppercorn)  they are a royal pain. I found that patience (not a virtue I have in abundance :P) helps. The way I get them out is to s-l-o-w-l-y tease each one out — if I pull gently, smoothly, and continuously they usually seem to s-l-o-w-l-y untangle and ease themselves along the length of the wad of hair they are embedded in, without taking any hair (ideally).

One by one.

Usually I can find them by patting the dog all around. Once I think I've found them all I comb the dog and find a few more. 

Sometimes I can get a few out at one time, but the deeper and stubborn ones have to come out one by one. S-l-o-w-l-y. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Yes Brad has it right. Been there many times. Trick is as he says is to do everything very slowly but continuously. Do not jerk or pull. This can make the burrs embed more deeply and also in Angus's case hurt his very sensitive skin. Can take hours or days to get them all out depending on patience of dog and owner!!!!! Must get them out or little mats may form and then heaven help us. I will say as Angus gor older his patience grew. He knew he felt better when they were all cleaned out.

Good luck and know you are not alone!

• Like 1

Oh dear - the last time Oban got into a faceful of these, he simply would not let us touch him to get them out.  We ended up taking him to the vet, who muzzled him, de-burred him, and charged us a vet visit for it.

Hope there are other less expensive ways.  Good luck.

• Like 1