CairnTalk

wild wild puppy

:cry: Hello, I could use some input from experienced cairn people. We just got our first cairn. I have always had sporting breeds, so a terrier is new to us. We did our homework, researched the breed, went to many shows etc and determined that we love these dogs. So into our home of 3 kids and one springer spaniel we bring this little doll, 12 weeks old tomorrow, who is, quite frankly, wild.

Aren't pups supposed to nap? She never voluntarily conks out, but I do stick her in the crate for down time.

Is this typical puppy cairn behavior? If it's typical I can bear it, knowing she'll grow up, but what if it's indicative of a bad temperament? My springer was never like this! Plus, she barks and barks and barks. Mostly at the springer when they play. Any tips on dealing with barking?

Cairn Terriers are happy, jumpy, nippy little bundles of energy. Mine will

go until he drops over from being exhausted. He will run and run until he

is exhausted enough to drop. And he too, loves to bark, and bark, and bark and... you get what I mean.

Sometimes I feel they should be called Cairn Terroriers. But would I trade him for a layed back relaxed puppy. No, because their puppy wildness gets better and better until they are almost normal at a year.

So hang in there and love her. Things will get better!!

Posey

I also have a 12 week old puppy Rebel. He doesn't bark very much only at objects that move and are not real, like toy trucks, vaccum cleaners, the broom. He barks and chases them showing them he is the boss and they are in his space. I have a bird that squalks alot and the he doesn't even give him the time of day. When he wants our attention he knows sitting at our feet or walking up wagging his tail gets him loved and petted and maybe even a treat. I keep treats in my pocket for instant reward when he is doing something I like. I think INSTANT is the key, he will associate the behavior with the treat and do it again to try to get that treat.

He has a small area in a hallway that is gated off and his crate is in it. I only put him in the crate when we leave the house. We go to the park and take long walks and visit with all the little people (he loves kids and is so gently with them). I am lucky in GA because we have had pretty good weather since he has joined us. He also goes outside in the backyard, it is fenced and plays with our big dog (I am laways with him). I think running and playing free like that helps him sleep. When we eat or cannot watch him he is in his area and will whine to let us know he would rather be out but if he has been fed and has gone outside and done his business, I know that he is ok and just wants attention. (he will stop wining after a minute or two and play with his toys) He has learned that we will pick him up and let him out when he is playing quietly.

He will begin puppy classes in March and I am looking forward to working with him because he is so smart. He is semi-potty trained, the accidents are almost always on the paper inside his area and caused because I was moving too slow... The school we will be attending had a 2 hour class for owners about crate training, biting, jumping & house training that was so helpful. It was done in conjunction with the local Humane Society and only cost $5. Maybe you have something like that in your area.

Good luck with your bundle of love!

Elizabeth, many times our puppy seems uncontrollably wild. Especially right before bed. Sometimes I think he may be hypoglycemic then, and when he awakens, because he is not the same puppy.

Boy, do I need help!

there were times when i didn't think i'd survive misha's puppyhood... he was sooo wild and uncontrollable...

obedience training classes have helped, as well as having him neutered (we're not going to show him) but it has just naturally gotten better with age...now he's almost a year old and almost manageable.

we've found the key is a long brisk walk, lots of hard playing (catch, etc) and he'll be droopey by eight or nine...

• 1 month later...

Well, I have survived the first few (7)months of my sweet and wild little Max's life. I to did all the research and seriously thought I new everything there was to know before we got him. Surprising to myself, I am still learning daily about his personality. He never stops and will run circles around our entire home knocking anything down that gets in his way. Sometimes he insists on chasing his tail to the point he will fall over from getting himself dizzy. I never in my life have had a dog like this, most of my other dogs were very much the normal description of a dog. We finished our first attempt at positive obedience at the end of February. Everyone in the class just loved him, but needless to say his description as the "social butterfly" as the instructor called him caused us to have to repeat the class. I love him to death and am looking forward to spending many years with him. He has slowed down some in the past 2 months, but I am thinking he will be very entertaining for quite a few years. My flower beds will never look the same again!! :wink:

Maxwell

Melanie, you descriped our Nicky as if he was your puppy. Nick is

8.5 months and is gettting a little more sense. But still will chase

his tail til he is dizzy if he gets frustrated about something. And these Cairns are easily frustrated :? I have tried every brand of dog food made

by man-and he nibbles but won't eat much. He seems to know that if

he holds out I will get worried about him and will make him chicken or liver. Or something better; he seems to think then he has been given

for puppy food. But now, Mr. Particular is sticking is nose up in the air and doesn't want what I slave at the stove to fix him. So now it is like "here Nick is your puppy food, eat it!" Which he does when he gets hungry enough. He weighs in at 19 lbs so its not like he is going to starve to death. But he was just a little over 4lbs when we got him. But they are a quirky little puppy, with some of the cutest little personality traits that I have ever seen in a pup. Thanks for sharing about your Cairn puppy experiences. :D

Posey

Archived