CairnTalk

Seizures in Cairins

TedsMom

I have a sweet 8 year old Cairn called Ted who has been newly diagnosed with Fly Catching Syndrome. Apparently he is having focal seizures which causes him to start panting excessively, he stares into space, rolls back his head and starts to have episodes where he starts snapping uncontrollably. He is now on seizure meds which is helping. Is this syndrome common in Cairns? I have never heard of it.

I am also worried about how much he sleeps. He seems to need a lot of sleep and is awake for roughly 5-6 hours per day. Is this normal?

Welcome to you and Ted. 

While I have heard of Fly Catching Syndrome in dogs, I have no sense that it is more common in Cairns than in any other breed. I've never seen it listed (or at least can't recall seeing it) in a Cairn health survey, for instance. 

Dogs in general can sleep a lot (17 hours a day, for instance, left to their own devices). Dogs are often included in the list of crepuscular species with activity peaking around the twilight hours of dusk and dawn. I would think while that may be true on some level, at a practical level they seem to be social sleepers — sleeping if nothing of interest is going on, and up for anything if their people (or squirrels :P) are around and active.  Older dogs do sleep more and harder as the years go by. Likewise sleep and lethargy can be mechanisms for coping with illness, so often the best indicator is a notable *change* in sleep needs.

If he sleeps a lot but rouses easily to go for a walk or an adventure I would probably not worry too much. It's one of those things that's really hard to say without being familiar with a dog personally. We almost always start with bloodwork whenever we have any non-orthopedic concern with our dogs.

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I know seizures can be idiopathic, and even transient, I'm assuming this is the vet's diagnosis of Ted? I'm sure the vet would advise if further investigation of underlying conditions is appropriate. it is normal to be sleepy after a seizure (and focal seizures can pass unnoticed), and his meds might make him drowsy. as Brad says, what really matters is how easy it is to wake him, and and how alert he is when awake. dog and cats normally sleep most of the day. they are not like us industrious humans making do with 8 hours or less!

Yes after being well worked up (including an MRI) Ted’s seizures have been diagnosed as idiopathic.  Thank you both for the info on dog sleeping patterns. I have been worried his big need for sleep was not normal. He does seem to have his episodes more frequently if he does not get enough sleep so I am letting him stay in bed as much as he wants. He does seem pretty normal and perky when he does wake up. And he is always happy to chase a squirrel :)

sounds like he is doing well. congratulations on springing for the MRI. I know that was hard. but it was worth it if is confirmed idiopathic etiology. 

I can't comment on Ted's seizures as no knowledge but I can say in agreement with Brad that my cairn Angus like other breeds I have owned would take a nap if nothing interesting to him was happening. Ready to go in blink of an eye if activity important to him occurred 🙂