CairnTalk

"excitable" peeing

Abby's Dad

When greeting a visiting family member, my 12 week old Abby becomes VERY excited and spontaneously pees. Is this a puppy thing? Hopefully it will pass with age :(

I once hoped that too! Cooper, who will be two in a few months, does not do this to me, but when my husband comes home from Oregon at the end of the week, or our youngest daughter comes over, I have to make sure he is on the linoleum because he piddles all over. Doesn't matter if he was just out five minutes prior, he still gets it from someplace deep inside!!! It doesn't seem to happen all the time anymore (knocking on wood), so maybe he finally is starting to outgrow it.....one can only hope!

pat.

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

It's not uncommon. Most grow out of it as they mature a bit, and can control their bladder in moments of extreme excitement. To speed things along, do things that minimize the excitement, and build confidence. Examples: ask guests not to greet Abby or even look at her until they've been in the house a while, and she's calmed down. Greet (when you get around to it) at her level by crouching down etc. Anything that reduces intimidation or tones down the excitement level will help.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

My Sofia used to do it too at about age 2. Her Vet told me to take away "opportunities", like holding her when others came in, or putting her outside, or in another room. She was very humiliated so I never scolded her. Her first owner also gave her a medication (I don't remember what it was) but my Vet wanted to wean her off it. There are a lot of articles about "Submissive Urination". I bet they'll outgrow it.

:( I hope they do! Mine has the same problem. She does that with everyone. But, you can't be mad with them. She'll look at me like "I'm sorry" with those big eyes and I'll just melt and have to forgive her. Thankfully, it hasn't offended anyone.

Enya's Mommy

www.dogster.com/?91068

Archived