CairnTalk

Max and New Aggression on Leash

tlwtheq

Max is about to turn 7.  He has a newly developed behaviour that needs modification.  When we're walking on leash in parks he views approaching (male) dogs as a threat.  He lies down in a tense position, and then when his "foe" gets close enough, he launches into attack mode, i.e., aggressive barking and "I want to tear your throat out!"  We had that problem with Olie (deceased 2002), and had to use a choke-collar technique, based on the the recommendations of an animal trainer we hired. I think he was a former Service Member dog trainer.   I didn't like doing that, but I know I have to train Max away from this behaviour.  Anyone have any suggestions besides the, "choke collar" method recommended by the previous do trainer?

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

I would give " Pet Corrector" a try.

"The Pet Corrector™ emits a hiss of compressed gas (HFC 134a) which is completely safe for animals and produces a broad spectrum sound (white noise) varying from a low frequency rumble to a high frequency hiss to interrupt a dog's unwanted behavior. The overall effect is to grab the attention of a dog."  

It makes a sound that startles the dog … distracts them from what they are doing.

I used it to stop Katie from jumping on the coffee table! Only used one time and never jumped up again.

I used it at our local dog gathering to stop another dog from repeatedly jumping on Katie.

If you're lucky, you may have to use it just once, after their hear that "hiss" you just have to show them the red canister to stop any further unwanted behavior.

I think there are some youtube videos...

Best of luck.264282452_petcorrector.jpg.dc1263214ddc64b46fc5088ae1f4a5c0.jpg

• Thanks 1

What's worked for me for leash-walking is to teach "Watch me," "down," and "sit."  Since I am usually looking well in advance of our path and can spot oncoming dogs ahead of time, I start the dog on work like "doggy pushups" which is basically just a down followed by a sit, by a down, by a sit, etc. With *plenty* of reward for each successful exercise. It's a festival of treat-dispensing :) until the distraction is past.

Eventually (over time) the dog catches on that an approaching dog means work-time which means treat-time. Ideally when the dog spots another dog they will begin to look to you with that "fork over the treats dude" look they have; the other dog is less interesting and has become a signal that treats are forthcoming rather than an approaching threat.

Until they have the skills to do sits and downs with attention I will attempt to circumvent the situation entirely (if possible) by turning away or changing paths to avoid oncoming dogs before my dog notices them approaching. 

Edited by bradl
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I have to say I lean toward Brad's suggestion. my first dog (not a cairn) started life with this idea that tearing up passing dogs would be a good idea. I taught him that as soon as I saw a dog on the horizon I would tell my dog to sit, and keep his eyes on me. When the dog had passed, there would be a release. Eventually my dog seems to have got more intellectually involved with the ritual that accompanied the approach of a dog than in the passing dog himself. I believe dog's of any age can learn new tricks (well, that's science anyway), so I wonder if a program like that would not distract Max long enough for a dog to get past. Once it became old hat, my dog would simply walk casually and ignore the other dog, expecting me to tell him to sit, though after a time I didn't really have to do it. 

• Like 1