CairnTalk

LickiMat

calypso

A Cairn friend introduced me to a textured rubber mat called a LickiMat that has been a great grooming aid. I smear something tempting on the surface and it takes a long while for Aila to clean those little crevices with her tongue. During that time she’s so well distracted that I’ve been able to pull puppy coat without much objection.

I think anything that makes a soft paste would work. I’ve mooshed up hydrated kibble with a little cottage cheese to make a spreadable paste and have also used yogurt, though drained yogurt might entertain her longer. I suppose you could use something like peanut butter, but that would be a lot of oil, so I think I’ll just use that as a minor component. And the mat holds quite a bit, so it can be a way of giving a whole meal to a puppy.

2319A735-145F-4BEA-B564-04318C4E8FA6.jpeg

• Like 1

Right. I’d like to hear how that green one works if anybody has tried it. I picked the orange one because I thought it might slow her down more, and that's the one Heidi uses. The round ones might be good, too. 

Slowing down is supposed to improve digestion for dogs, too, I hear. So far I’ve just used it to keep the little barracuda from biting me while I groom her.

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

My Beagle HATED baths.  I used to take him into the shower (where I had a hand-held showerhead) to wash him, and -- to keep him still -- I'd smear peanut butter on the shower wall.  Worked great and no need for the licky thing.  He LOVED peanut butter and would stand still as a statue while I washed him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1