CairnTalk

Try Trick Dog!

calypso

After we lost our dear Bella, her daughter Greta slid into depression. It was so sad to see our spunky girl so listless and glum. I thought some extra attention and stimulation might help, so started looking for a new training experience. I found a morning dog trick class that is only taught once a year, and it worked a miracle. In no time, the sad girl was full of enthusiasm, tuned-in and eager. The teacher even said “She really likes to work!” 

Even though the class gave me a refresher on clicker training and some good tips, I’ve also found a lot of trick training lessons online, and think anybody could get started without a formal class. Keeping Greta’s mind working and having fun with teamwork is something I had let slide, and I regret it. 

I discovered that AKC now has trick dog titles. If your dog already has CGC, you only need five easy tricks. Otherwise it’s ten tricks. Now we’re working on the Intermediate Tricks list. The best thing about the title effort is that it has kept us going, learning new things and practicing the old ones. 

This is a great “sport” for older dogs and for owners like me who don’t have a lot of dog classes nearby. It’s easy to start at home with minimal gear. 

Edited by calypso
  • Like 4