CairnTalk

older dogs peeing in the house

Rate this topic

Marla

My older Cairns, 10 and 14, no health issues, have started marking and peeing in the house. I’ve had many dogs in my time and haven’t experienced a behavior that I couldn’t solve. My vet has no suggestions besides puppy Prozac. Please help🐶

oh? seems like the more straightforward approach would be healthier and easier --pants. gives you peace of mind. like people, when dogs get older they may lose some bladder control. nothing you would notice if they didn't live in the house. there are a lot of cute pants. 

• Thanks 1

My local Petco recently started selling "wraps" for male dogs. You can also find them online, called "belly bands." They fasten with Velcro, are washable, to be used with an absorbent, disposable pad.

In the Cleaning Products area, I noticed a household spray to use to discourage marking. I have no idea how effective it is, but store personnel  might advise you.

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Getting older whether canine or human does have  its similar issues. 🤭

• Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I used the belly band with Angus when young and not 100% reliable when we went places.  Suggest the same for an older dog. There are female pants available also. Saves having to be on the alert all the time to be ready to mop up after an incident.

• Like 1

Did the vet check for a urinary tract infection or other issues?  Seems Prozac would be way down the list of things to try.

• Like 1