CairnTalk

Cairn coat

Zoeyb

I'd let it grow out for a while — until it's long enough to easily work with, a few months perhaps — and then strip the dog down to undercoat. Wait another few months (or longer) and hopefully say hello to a fresh new coat. 

Welcome to CainTalk :) 

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I was wondering the same thing. My 1.5 was clipped instead of being hand stripped.Now his coat is a lighter in colour. Hoping to get his outer coat back in shape. 

In my experience, clipping, as well as stripping often reveals a lighter color coat, but I think the color returns as it grows back in, or at least it did in our case.

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I understand your concern, Zoeyb. Over the years a number of folks in similar circumstances have expressed the same worry re the return of outer harsh coats after a bad grooming job. I seem to remember that some coats come back and some don't come back completely to their original texture. 

I also read here that when the coat did not return  as before, it was suggested to have the pooch professionally hand stripped down to the "underwear", but I have no personal experience to offer.

...Oops! I just noticed that Bradl gave this same advice (above).

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Cairn coats vary quite a bit. Browse the grooming thread and you will find comments on the different coats. I can't say what to do for certain but I think I would go with above advice and let the coat grow out. This may happen with some cairns quite quickly or like with my Angus may take months and months to fully grow back.