CairnTalk

Sam...it’s all about Sam!

Sam I Am

I have no idea why Sam does this ever day we take him out on his and Rosie’s walk. He absolutely loves his walks and on the rare occasion we can’t take the dogs that day, the whining, barking and carrying on goes on for a long time. So back to our daily walks....Rosie like the well behaved Scottie she is patiently waits for her harness and leash to be put on. Not Sam. He starts zoomies, won’t let us catch him, dashes under chairs, meanwhile tail wagging, a big smile on that hairy face of his, until either we corner him or he gets tired of being an idiot. I have no idea why this happens...the only thing I can think of is that he would like to go on walks without his leash and harness. That will never ever happen.🥴 Once his harness is on off we go, Sam as happy as a Cairn can possibly be. Perhaps he is just over come with so much delight that standing still just doesn’t work for him. It’s Sam !

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Our Cairn Brianna, will run off to look out the window and run around while I put on our granddog's harness after I announce, "let's go to the park". Ellie bows down while I harness her up. I should get a picture of this. Anyway, I finally say to Brinna, "Come on if you want to go to the park!" She will finally sort of settle down to let me harness her up, too. I have no idea why she runs around, except this is how she is and she is excited to get to go. 

• Like 3

Our 2 yr old Cairn Katie ignores us and acts bored when we call out for a "Walk? or "Walkies?".

After 30 years with Westies, we were quite dismayed...thinking  we had missed in her training as the Westies would race you to the door at the mere hint or thought of a walk!

Just viewed this funny but true youtube video by our own  Idaho Cairns

Title: the incredible obedience of Cairn Terriers  Shows the typical Cairn response to a command

(Youtube videos:  cehsr8)

Much thanks to Idaho Cairns/ cehsr8 for all the posts and videos. We have so enjoyed his videos of Sammi and Bonnie. 

When Katie has a divergent response to a command... our smiling response is "its a Cairn thing!" 

Enjoy! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Winston now likes to wait at the top of the stairs until the last possible moment.  Sometimes winning the battle to where I walk back up the stairs to retrieve him to get his collar on to go for a walk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Katie, like Winston, does the same.

After many trials of coaxing, cajoling, begging and commanding... we succumbed to the Charlee Bear method.

All out pockets have Charlee Bear crackers (as WE are well trained!.) 

Husband Kirk will reach for his pocket to present one CB cracker...down the stairs comes Katie. After a quick "sit" they are off for happy walkies.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Life's game for cairns. Asserting themselves as independent is a major part of that.

And true - Charlee Bear is a major help in persuading a cairn to come to his/her human. Always had them in my pockets.

• Like 2

Brodie would run away and jump on the top of the couch when we mentioned "walk".  I would have to hunt him down or chase him. Pepper and Teddy run to the door at the mention of "walk".  Finally figured out that a carrot bit will make Brodie run/race to the leash/collar and be ready for a walk.  At the dog park he will run to the carrot bag when I shake it as well! Who would have thought that carrot bits would make him so happy!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Pepper's Mom