CairnTalk

Puppy ears

My sister and I each purchased a Cairn at 6 weeks old. My male Duncan and her female Tori Lynn are litter mates. Neither one of them has ears that stand and they are now 7 months old. Also my Duncan has a white stripe down his neck and chest that the breeder said would go away. So far it shows no signs of fading. In all the pictures of Cairns that we have seen, I have never seen a white stripe. We have papers on both puppies, but we are beginning to wonder if they are full Cairns. Any ideas on how to get their ears to stand?

my sister and i had the same problem with Misha's ears.... our aunt told us to cut the hair on the ears, from the top about halfway down... his ears have stood up since, we only had to cut the hair that one time...

if that doesn't work, try massaging the base of the ear, near the skull, or snap your fingers by the ear so that the dog uses it more....

hope these suggestions help!

mary

our little Cairn Terrier had what we thought was white in his tale and muzzle-but it is silver. Watch your puppy, and see if that is not the case.

Silver is acceptable color for Cairn terriers.

Posey

Our Cairn had floppy ears which we loved until about six months of age. One day the first ear stood up and never flopped again, but the second ear did not want to stand up! This gave 'Bandit' a very cute though slightly weird appearance. I was worried the 2nd ear would never stand up--then we had him professionally groomed for the first time. Once the hair was trimmed, that reluctant floppy ear was gone for good. I kind of miss the little floppy-eared look , but I'm glad he's now symmetrical!

An ear trim should do if for your puppy too. Good luck.

Archived