CairnTalk

Running with a cairn terrier

Maksym

Hi! I have just got a cairn terrier puppy. I run 5 km each two days and planning to do this with the dog in the future. Will this be enough to keep the cairn terrier in good physical conditions?

Guest dog person

I think so, I walk at least 2 to 3 miles a day with my cairn (weather permitting), sometimes it's more like a jog.     He is fit and trim at 5 years old.   He is not the best walker though, he barks at joggers, hates bicycles, trucks.

I would start with a slow walk around the block 2 or 3 times a day.   Remember he is only a puppy and this breed can be incredibly stubborn.

He has to learn to be a good walker first.     Once they realize it is part of their daily job to exercise you, it's all good  🙂

Always give him a tasty treat at the end of your walk when you arrive home (not during the walk).    You will find that they are more cooperative on the way back because they are anticipating their treat.    That's what I have found works.

Make sure you get a snug fitting harness and a leash that has a lobster claw style clasp or better.   When my guy is being stubborn he will stop and roll around on the sidewalk.    Guess what, the standard type clasp easily gets undone while they are rolling around and off they go!

Good luck and enjoy your puppy.

PS: Cairns are easily distracted and prey driven (some more than others)  

Anyway, if my dog saw a squirrel or rabbit he would not hesitate to run in front of a truck to get it, and they won't listen to you when you call, I don't care how much training they have had

My point being is, don't trust a cairn off leash unless he is in a fenced in yard, just my opinion.

Edited by dog person

My husband ran 5ks thrice weekly with our Max for several yrs (until Max was put on a special diet for stones).  Our vet said it was excellent exercise but to not run when the temperature was above 75 degrees as he would overheat.  But by that time, Max and he were running 10k once a week with a water break at the 5k mark.  Max loved jogging with the running club weekly more than just with my husband....cairns do love a pack.  

The vet told us Max would make his wishes known when or if he didn’t want to run.   He did....absolutely turned around and went back into his kennel and refused to come out for the run even though kitted up with his harness and running leash! 😂  sorry, master, nope, not going out.   This happened off and on after he turned 5 yrs until he retired from jogging by the time he was 6 .....well, except for those short sprints of a a quarter mile.  

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I started running with my cairn Charlie (a girl) when she was probably around 7 months. We started with shorter distances, and I always run at a slower pace (10 minute mile).

I never run without her now (I would feel guilty going solo because I know how much she loves it!), and we usually go 4-5 miles. The furthest I have run with her was 11 miles, and we worked our way up to that.  

We always run with her on leash, and I make sure to pay attention to the signals she is sending me. Anyone with a cairn can tell you that they aren't shy about letting their opinions be known! Running is honestly the highlight of her day, to the point where she jumps excitedly and spins in circles in excitement when she sees me coming out in my running gear. I love my running buddy!

• Like 2

a run at a moderate pace for that distance is probably fine for a young cairn. be sure to have him checked for possible luxating patella, which is fairly common in cairns and westies. in addition, as Guest notes, you need to have a leash on the dog at all times. i have one of those ruffwear leashes that hooks around your waist. no exceptions. your dog will bolt after anything that strikes him as prey, and he won't know what he is doing --running into traffic, running off a ledge, or just running away. he won't mean to disobey, it will just be more than he can handle. hook the leash to a harness, never a collar. 

• Like 1