CairnTalk

Hills Prescription and Science Diet recalls

sanford

I am posting this alert because Hills dog foods are widely prescribed by many vets, (including my own) and their products often appear in vets offices:

Hill's Pet Nutrition is recalling multiple lots of BOTH its Prescription Diet and Science Diet dog foods due to elevated levels of vitamin D.

Very high levels of vitamin D can lead to serious health issues in dogs, including kidney dysfunction.

To learn which products are affected, please visit the following link: 

Hill's Prescription Diet and Science Diet Dog Food Recall

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Just got the info about recall. I'm so upset because my boy has been on the ID formula for almost 3 years and was so sick until i got him on it. Now what do i put him on??? Will call vet tomorrow to see what he says. Any recommendations as what to feed him thats comparable to the ID hills??????

If you are satisfied with the food you are using now I would check the lot numbers of the tainted/recalled product by the manufacturer and make sure what you are feeding isn't within the recalled batch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm sorry, BoBo, I would also be upset if my sick dog was on Hill's canned, but I thought it was important for folks to know. We all have "Dog Food Fatigue" by now, because of the repeated recalls in the news. The report made the distinction that the Hill's canned product was the culprit - but the dry was Ok, if that makes any difference for you. 

Royal Canin and Prescription Pro Plan products might be alternatives if your vet approves. Of course Idaho's advice, above is crucial. 

I hope things work out for you. Good luck!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Just got the info about recall. I'm so upset because my boy has been on the ID formula for almost 3 years and was so sick until i got him on it. Now what do i put him on??? Will call vet tomorrow to see what he says. Any recommendations as what to feed him thats comparable to the ID hills??????

Thanks. I was able to get a case of safe before recall science diet and vet advises to try blue buffalo GI perception diet for him. I'm so hopeful that the blue will work for him. He's been in perfect health for the almost 3 years he's been on science ID.

20170423_215021.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks 

I checked mine and all good but I'm ordering some blue buffalo GI support and swich him to that because I'd like to try to get him changed over to blue.

Anyone on here have things they can tell me about exsperances with blue GI support??

• Like 1