CairnTalk

Interesting read

Sam I Am

I am posting this only as an interesting read...nothing to do with holistic vets vs traditional. It’s always interesting (to me anyway) to read about different articles from different sources on the pet food industry. Just a read...if one is interested. 

https://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/180983083351/pet-food-industry?fbclid=IwAR0uwpU5dAAodWeb1NlGUwAccKAfnwP0qftp0L3t5b1W3w7vb4kvj8vy2JQ#.XBmF04oTGhB

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Thanks 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Interestingly the discussion and controversy is about "labeling" an not dog health or any suggestion of mislabeled food effecting dog mortality. 
" To highlight the huge marketing impact this issue has had on the multibillion dollar pet food industry since May 2014, litigation between two very large pet food manufacturers and their suppliers about the listed and actual ingredients in their diets is ongoing through the federal courts. The back-and-forth litigation and its attendant publicity has given the public and world a mere glimpse into the pet industry. "

I would really like to see some in depth, wide ranging, comprehensive studies that compare "holistic" or "raw" diets as compared with manufactured foods (correctly labeled or even mislabeled) before making a judgement.  I have a feeling, a sense,  that most manufactured dry foods are probably just fine for most dogs and, further, I have a feeling that it is really hard to draw a causal relationship between food and canine mortality--especially considering that dogs are still primitive in terms of being predators and carnivores.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Idaho Cairns said:

I have a feeling that it is really hard to draw a causal relationship between food and canine mortality--especially considering that dogs are still primitive in terms of being predators and carnivores.

Tend to agree with Idaho. What has an argument about labeling got to do with dogs' health?

It often seems studies, arguments articles etc are funded .paid for by this or that dog food company. Rarely (ever?) do we read independent studies.

Yes there will always be a lot of controversy around dog food, the way people perceive what is healthy and what is not. In the end you just have to decide yourself what works best for you and your animals. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

I agree, Terrier Lover. I must admit that one of my pet peeves is the person who offers advice about food, or health, or whatever -- whether I have asked for it or not. I don't mind reading the occasional article (though I didn't read this one, Terrier Lover), but those who respond as follows just drive me nuts:

"Oh, you have allergies? You could just cure those if you add raw honey to your diet." "Diverticulitis? My wife went paleo, and never had those problems again!" "You should try tumeric." "You should try dropping wheat from your diet." etc. etc.

And of course, this is multiplied when my dogs' diets are added in.  

I believe in moderation and in common sense. And generally, eating as close to the "source" as possible. Eat fresh. Eat the fruit rather than the juice. Try lots of different foods. Enjoy the taste...

And if someone would just measure my food, as I do my dogs', I bet I would be a lot thinner.  Of course, they have not figured out how to open the refrigerator.  Though we are putting latches on the cupboards today as I write, as little Angus HAS figured out how to open them...

• Like 1

Yikes...Angus don’t watch this.😈

Brilliant! Can you imagine what we'd find if we left these guys home alone for a week!?! 😱 (Hmmm... Now there's a plot for a Disney movie).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!