CairnTalk

Welcome, Abigail!

parmelbe

Betsy has a sister! 

Abby has been with us for about three weeks now and is settling in very well. The shelter had named her Vera but she’s learned her new name quickly. She’s about 8 years old but has the energy of a 2 year old. We now go to the dog park as a family for an hour a day. She’d chase a squeaky ball until she drops dead if we let her. Only issues have been with crate training (she’s taking a while getting comfortable with being left alone) and some leash reactivity but she learns quickly and has responded well to behavioral training.

So far the girls have been coexisting well after a little bit of boundary setting. Betsy is now a little bit more playful at the park, seemingly after Abby’s example. I’ve caught Abby sitting near Betsy when Betsy goes through thunderstorm anxiety.

Full disclosure, we knew this wasn’t the best idea and a bit of a risk having only just adjusted to a new home but we saw this little sweetheart in passing from Betsy’s former shelter and had to give it a try. So far Abby has been doing well in a loving home!

E31D2E41-9A19-47E0-A066-1CDEC2EA9239.jpeg

530CF528-9C3E-4640-A0A6-466088ABD2D4.jpeg

Edited by parmelbe
  • Like 3

Guest dog person

Adorable!     I would be careful with the crate training though.   After all, this dog is a senior and may find it to be extremely stressful.

I prefer to gate in a small room.

15 minutes ago, dog person said:

Adorable!     I would be careful with the crate training though.   After all, this dog is a senior and may find it to be extremely stressful.

I prefer to gate in a small room.

Unfortunately gating in a room had the same effect and she got a little destructive, just a little bit of scratching at the door and really aggressive chewing of her toy. In the crate she’ll whine for a bit then go to sleep but doesn’t damage the crate or herself. 

With another photo from a particularly muddy day for happy feelings. 

6FDDE76C-5920-4891-91D4-809E51194EE7.jpeg

Edited by parmelbe
  • Like 1

Guest dog person

She may have separation anxiety, a lot of dogs are given up because of it.     Please speak to your vet, there are treatment options.   Inexpensive prescription medications for example.   She is still transitioning to a new home,  if she has to go on meds it doesn't mean it's forever,  after the dog has been stable for 6 months you can work with your vet to taper off.

10 minutes ago, dog person said:

She may have separation anxiety, a lot of dogs are given up because of it.     Please speak to your vet, there are treatment options.   Inexpensive prescription medications for example.   She is still transitioning to a new home,  if she has to go on meds it doesn't mean it's forever,  after the dog has been stable for 6 months you can work with your vet to taper off.

Yes, most definitely. Her biggest meltdown was when her foster family dropped her off and she saw the kids leave. The vet says he wants to stay away from meds for now. She’s made a lot of progress being left alone for a few hours during the day. We’re working on the cue “I’ll be back” in conjunction with rewards as a signal to be calm and wait and so far we’ve seen her stop barking at us when we leave and sleep through our return. Very encouraging. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

You might want to try this product. Rosie was a nervous Nellie in the truck when we went long distances...our vet suggested this product..we sprayed a scarf and put it around her neck plus sprayed her bed which she lies in when we travel and I was amazed...it worked! She was calm and relaxed and we have continued to use it when travelling.https://www.adaptil.com/ca_en#redirected

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Guest dog person

Dogs bond with humans, even if they have been abused they will grieve their original family and may not get over it no matter how nice the new family is to them.     That's the reality.  So, I wouldn't waste my money on a homeopathic spray.

Continue to work closely with your vet for the best results.

http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=anxiety

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person

I'm just saying, sometimes it takes a good 2 or 3 months before they adjust.  Be patient.  Sounds like she is off to a good start  🙂

Edited by dog person

What a great pair they are. Looks like Abby is settling in fine. Time and patience will sort things out. She already is getting confident with you and Betsy.

Have fun and enjoy the two beauties - and thanks for giving a home to a needy girl. An 8 year old terrier is barely middle aged. Mine lived into their middle teens so hopefully many happy years ahead for all of you!

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Abby looks like she's making herself right at home.  Bless you for adopting these beautiful girl!

We adopted Nattie at the age of 8 too.  It took her quite a while to adjust but our patience and determination has paid off.  She does have some issues with becoming overwhelmed at times (due to too much activity with strange noises, too many people around, etc.).  We put her in a quiet room, settle her down, take her for a walk and she's fine.  Never have resorted to meds and we prefer it that way.

I look forward to more posts/pics/updates!

Guest dog person

I don't know how severe Abby's anxiety is, however if it gets worse and doesn't respond to the methods described in above posts.

I  would consider medication.   Just my opinion based on a positive experience with a dog that suffered from thunderstorm phobia/separation anxiety.

Interesting article and comments:   https://www.puppyleaks.com/dogs-with-anxiety/

"Not all dogs suffer from severe anxiety, like many conditions it exists on a spectrum from mild to severe. But for the dogs that do suffer from it medication can be the most humane option".

Edited by dog person

Thanks for the input, all!

We’re working with the behaviorist on leash reactivity and the “Look at That” technique is working really well. 

Crate training is moving along. She’s great with practice sessions during the day, we just have to extend the time alone. She’s now down to just 10-15 minutes of whining at night. Meds are still on the table if it gets worse but the vet is feeling optimistic that most of the crate noises are demand rather than outright panic. 

F8A5D178-ABE5-4338-8511-B036D47A0B87.jpeg

C347CC58-0139-43C9-B05C-1C10543F8BD3.jpeg

• Like 2

Guest dog person

Sounds good. Glad you are working closely with your vet.   Thanks for the update.

PS:  Is that a cataract developing in her right eye?    Nothing to be alarmed about if that is the case.

Just keep an eye on it, your vet will advise you accordingly.

One of my dogs had cataract surgery (I don't recommend it) that is why I notice these things.  

Edited by dog person

13 minutes ago, dog person said:

Sounds good. Glad you are working closely with your vet.   Thanks for the update.

PS:  Is that a cataract developing in her right eye?    Nothing to be alarmed about if that is the case.

Just keep an eye on it, your vet will advise you accordingly.

One of my dogs had cataract surgery (I don't recommend it) that is why I notice these things.  

It absolutely is. Good eye (pardon the pun). Vet is aware and we’re watching it. Doesn’t seem to cause her any pain and she still responds to light and movement. 

• Like 1