CairnTalk

comments

Hillscreek

Guest dog person

It means that someone does not agree with the information posted.    It's supposedly a polite way of disagreeing, rather than debating and going back and forth with opinions.

That's my take on it?    It does seem kind of rude though....

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person

I think that is what it is.   Thumbs down.   Same thing.  I don't think they have a thumbs down here,  just the up and down arrows.

Edited by dog person

If you click on the thumbs down emoji in response to a post that you disagree with, your identity will be revealed. In the past this led to a heated back-and-forth exchange.

To avoid possible unpleasantness, Bradl introduced the new down arrow, as a good remedy, enabling us to activate it as a way of expressing disagreement without disclosing our identity... therefore keeping the peace!🙂

P.S. As Dog Person says, it may seem somewhat rude to use the down arrow... I wouldn't take issue with that, but as long as it keeps the peace for the sake of the well-meaning people and positive exchanges on this site, I am all for it!❤️

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Much like the heart can mean anything from Love to Like to I Agree, the downvote can mean anything from Totally Disagree to Tend To Disagree to Meh, There Are Better Responses. 

I hope it's possible to express disagreement without it being de facto rude.

An arrow doesn't require the last word so the hope is that it can be a safe way to register an opinion without requiring or even asking for a counter argument. 

An imperfect tool, for sure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest dog person
15 hours ago, sanford said:

If you click on the thumbs down emoji in response to a post that you disagree with, your identity will be revealed. In the past this led to a heated back-and-forth exchange.

What thumbs down emoji?    User name is not revealed here no matter what emoji you select.....

Anyway, anything is better than arguing over an opinion.   If anyone is confused about differing opinions they can always consult with a veterinary healthcare professional that they trust and go from there.

Edited by dog person

• 4 months later...
Guest dog person
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, bradl said:

cMuch like the heart can mean anything from Love to Like to I Agree, the downvote can mean anything from Totally Disagree to Tend To Disagree to Meh, There Are Better Responses. 

I hope it's possible to express disagreement without it being de facto rude.

An arrow doesn't require the last word so the hope is that it can be a safe way to register an opinion without requiring or even asking for a counter argument. 

An imperfect tool, for sure. 

Bradl,

I was wondering if you could take the time to re-evaluate the need for the up and down arrows.  It is obvious to any observer that they are often being used inappropriately (imo).

Thanks for your time.

Edited by dog person

Guest dog person
2 minutes ago, bradl said:

I have recently done so and my assessment is that to the limited extent they have been used their use appears appropriate. 

Thanks for your response.    

I am just asking that you keep an eye on the activity, I could be wrong but it appears that I am the only poster here that receives the down arrow?

I am sure it is just one poster and that persons buddies piling on .    I will continue to ignore them.    I myself will refrain from using any up and down arrows or emojis,  it's silly, reminds me of Junior High.  

Thanks, again.

I think, considering the highly opinionated realm surrounding the internet and all things internet related that "ignoring" symbols and/or disagreeing comments is a good thing.  One should be able to express an appropriately stated opinion without overdue concern about how that opinion is received or perceived.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When we see feedback of Thanks or Likes or LOLs we can generally figure out how or why someone might have liked or laughed at (or with) a post. We don't require an explanation or defense of the feedback. It is just how someone felt about it and they shared their reaction.

You may want to reflect on the reason certain posts receive down arrows. Try if you can to imagine reasons that are not simply defects in the persons offering the feedback. 

• Like 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

54 minutes ago, bradl said:

You may want to reflect on the reason certain posts receive down arrows. Try if you can to imagine reasons that are not simply defects in the persons offering the feedback.  

It is not the people themselves we might agree or disagree with.  Surely it's the ideas or viewpoints.  I have people I know and like but whose opinions on some subjects are way different from mine. We can have a lively discussion without feeling  we are out to "get" each other.

That's the way I feel about this forum. Whether I have agreed or disagreed with posters I have always felt we are here because we are cairn terrier lovers and are doing all we can to help us understand and care for our beloved companions.

• Like 2