CairnTalk

Luxating Patella

gd4

On my visit for our little 14 mo. old today for another issue, the vet told me that she has Stage 2 luxating patellas. I was told not to be overly concerned and that surgery is not always needed. Mainly, to keep her weight down as she grows older. I know this occurs in Cairns but didn't have it with my other two Cairns. Anyone here? :)

Guest dog person

It depends on how bad the symptoms are, regarding how aggressive you want to be about treatment.

I had a poodle/terrier mix that was diagnosed with luxating patella in one hind leg,  she would occasionally scream in pain and run around the house with her leg extended for a few minutes, this would happen once or twice a month.   The leg would then pop back into place.       This was over twenty years ago, the episodes decreased as she got older.    I don't remember the vet offering much in the way of treatment.

If I was to go through this today with a young pup, I would definitely consider surgery.

Guest dog person

I think there are different degrees of luxating patella,  if it's mild, no treatment may be needed other than keeping weight down.

With the dog I had, the symptoms went away after she was a couple of years old.  If they hadn't I would have sought treatment.

1 hour ago, dog person said:

I think there are different degrees of luxating patella,

This is so. From the national club site …

Luxated Patellae

This is a problem in many small breeds of dogs, including Cairns. In this   disorder, the knee cap slips out of the trochlear groove. Testing, funded by the CTCA   Foundation, has proven it to be an inherited disorder in Cairns. Diagnosis is by X-ray and palpation exam. The condition is also on the GDC Registry for Cairns. The severity of the condition is quite variable. It can occur in one back leg, or both.   Grade 1 cases can be very mild, with minor gaiting anomalies. Mild cases will do such things as: pick up a leg for a few steps when moving over irregular ground (gravel or long grass), lope or gallop rather than trot. They are often straight in the stifle and have no “drive” to their rear movement. Grade 3 and 4 cases, are less common and do require surgical correction. This condition does weaken the integrity of the  joint, predisposing to arthritis and traumatic injury. The GDC does have a Registry for Luxating Patellae in Cairns.

— http://cairnterrier.org/index.php/Static/health#Luxated Patellae

• Thanks 1

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

From time to time I notice some (small) dogs taking a brief skip, or hop, raising one of their rear legs as they are being walked along here in the city. I assume this is due to luxating patella which leads me to believe that the condition might be more common than we might think.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Thanks, all. I am sure like all diseases and other issues, there are the varied stages that will assist in the decision of surgery. It sounds as though this is quite common. I do believe my little Trinity had at the time what was called ACL issues that she lived with all her life (near 14 as she died last Labor Day). Hopefully, my little pup will be okay.

Bradl, thank you for providing this detailed info. You are always a great resource as well as the support that I have received for many, many years from all here. Thank you :)

luxating patella is a common terrier thing, and as everybody has said there are degrees. i think that it falls in the very broad category of skeletal vulnerabilities of our short-legged friends with long backs. you can probably minimize stress of many kinds by minimizing her impact landings on the floor. if she gets on your bed, make or buy a ramp for her to go up and down on (i have never had a dog who had the choice of a ramp or jumping up and down who didn't use the ramp). if she gets and off of furniture try to provide a cushion surface for her to land on. prevention goes a very long way. and leashes attached to collars! use harnesses. 

• Like 1

Thanks, pkcrossley. These are good tips to follow. She is still quite active as a little pup but I will do my best to monitor so she does not aggravate the situation :)

16 hours ago, pkcrossley said:

(I have never had a dog who had the choice of a ramp or jumping up and down who didn't use the ramp). 

Excellent advice, PK, but clearly you never met Carrington.🙂 In his old age, I got him a set of carpeted steps, (admittedly, not a ramp, but a close second), He never used them and continued to ask to be put up onto the bed. To get down, he would launch himself high up into air with a heart-stopping leap, landing a few feet away onto the carpeted floor!😱 For the sake of his safety - and my sanity, - I made the sad decision to keep the bed off limits.

• Haha 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

sanford, a portion of your comments made me laugh (fond memories) and sad. Both of my former Cairns, one with ACL and tendon issues, leaped off beds and decks before I could stop them. As you stated, the bed became off limits as well as the deck due to these behaviors.

On a side note: I am not sure if my little girl pup recognizes her own limitations or not; however, she does not go up high stairs yet or downstairs! This may be due to the fact that she is off limits in so many areas and still confined to playpens all over the house due to her scary "garbage dog" tendencies. She does take off on a run for the rabbit at amazing speeds with no hops or pain, yet :)

Edited by gd4

no i did NOT meet carrington and i so regret it. i'm not sure steps are a close second, only for this reason --as i said, none of my dogs (or cats) fail(ed) to use the ramp, but not a single one of them would ever use any kind of stairs or steps. clearly something going on in their universe i don't know about. 

my redmon was a mad leaper too but once he got used to the ramp he decided he could live without the aches and pains in his back from all those landings.

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 2

Little Nancy has this condition since she was around 4 years or so (she will be 11 in September). When she runs the left back leg joint pops out of place and she keeps running on 3 legs; the bone pops back in place and on she goes. She does not show any pain; I talked to the vet and she agreed surgery was not needed, mostly because of her age and she seems to be dealing with it.

Apparently she doesn't have time for an out-of-joint leg, being outside has so much more to offer.

• Like 2

Martha, your little girl sounds like my pup who I lost on Labor Day. Nothing slowed her down. Her death was ultimately a surprise for me. I thought she would live forever (Mama's wish, eh). She moved like a rabbit right up until a month before she turned 14. She had ACL issues but I am pretty she did some hopping and skipping. This sounds like a common issue among Cairns that I need to keep a watch! :)

I am so sorry for the loss of your wonderful, sweet companion. I, too, think that Nancy can live forever although I will be happy with whatever years she can be my companion. I agree that this luxating patella seems to be a Cairn trait. As long as the "good" Cairn traits are included then I will accept the patella problem and deal with it as needed.

• Like 1

Thank you, Martha. The loss was very difficult for me to deal. In fact, I am just starting to heal. People say they are just dogs but not our Cairns :) Best to you and Nancy!

Edited by gd4