CairnTalk

Gus has PTS-Bee

Islander

Gus turned 10 last month. Still the Scourge of Squirrels and the Slaughterer of Snakes. However, after a couple of apparent bee stings - first in my back yard about three weeks ago, and secondly in my friend’s back yard about 10 days ago, he is now refusing to go into any back yard. We have been for walks, off leash and on, and his behaviour has been totally normal. But he will not willingly go into any back yard and if coaxed, he finds a place to hide.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of reaction and how long it lasted!

He did not show any physical reaction to the bee stings, no swelling anywhere on his face or body. I assumed stings because in the first case he started yelping and jumping around; the second time he just hightailed it into the house leaving a dead bee behind him. I inspected him thoroughly and found nothing.

Any comments much appreciated.

Guest dog person

One of my dogs is like that.     We had an underground wasp nest in the backyard a few years ago.   She was stung a couple of times and another time when we were on a walk.  Ever since then if she sees one bee she'll head to the door to be let in. She's a skittish dog anyway.

I don't blame your dog, bee stings hurt.  You might have a nest in your yard and he knows it.   I wouldn't make him go out there,   eventually he will relax a bit.

I was at the vet clinic the other day, there was a woman that had a small dog that had a swollen eye, she said he was stung by bees and might lose that eye.

Also, check with your vet about the correct dosage, but I would have some benadryl on hand.   They can have an allergic reaction.

Edited by dog person

sounds like Gus is having acute attack of intelligence. cairns do get over that very quickly. symptoms could linger indefinitely!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest dog person

Here  is a good article  http://www.vetstreet.com/dogs/bee-stings-in-dogs

(excerpt below)

To minimize exposure to bee stings try to help your pet avoid flower beds, a favorite habitat of bees. Bees also may build nests in eaves of houses and in trees. Some hornets and wasps build their nests in the ground, so pay careful attention to where your dog may be digging when he is outside. It is always a good idea monitor your property for nests and have them removed when detected. Bees abound in the spring and summer and “bee proofing” your dog’s environment is big job. It is a good idea to have the phone numbers for your veterinarian and local veterinary emergency clinic on hand in case your dog is stung.

Once stung never forgotten.True for all my dogs. Not possible to bee proof my wild area. However all dogs learned to move quickly when bee, hornet, wasp came buzzing around. Maybe Gus has learned to associate backyards with a bad experience. Impossible to say when or if he'll change his mind.

Suggest leaving door open so he can decide whether or not to go  out. Go out yourself without taking him or calling him. Let him mull it over and maybe he will decide to take a chance and go out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for input.

This morning he stood by the back door, looked ready to go...and then, when I opened the door he changed his mind! I’ve been outside every day, the space is very small so he can watch me through the screen. 

Took him for a long off leash run this morning in one of our favourite places...there must have been some bees around, but he wasn’t bothered at all. I agree that he has associated stings with back yards only! Poor guy, he may miss out on some BBQ fun this summer.

DD8C364B-1811-4CAA-A0DC-E22D95CA16A4.jpeg

• Like 2

Keeping my fingers crossed that the smell of BBQ, hot dogs, etc. will entice him to return to the back yards!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Islander something tells me that the bbq will in time win over the fear of being stung.🍗🍖  Brought back memories of Jock . He spent his whole life chasing, biting and killing bees...used to scare the heck out of me but he was lightening fast and never was stung.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Update: it was not the aroma of hot dogs that lured Gus back outside, but the presence of unknown intruders of the rodent variety. Just can't let those critters take over his territory! Hope this generalizes to our friend's back yard! She had a rat infestation last week so the smell may be irresistible.

• Haha 4

Of course! Why didn't we think to suggest putting a couple of rats out there! You know in a cage like in the earth dog trial!

• Like 1