CairnTalk

Sad news in the neighborhood - BTMM retires

hheldorfer

I'm sure I have mentioned Bob the mailman (or BTMM) as we refer to him.  He has been delivering our mail for 15 years and is a huge dog lover.  He brings the dogs treats every day and has always been the highlight of Buffy's and Ziggy's day.  They have learned to identify the sound of his truck and the telltale 'clink' of mailboxes as Bob makes his way down our street.  By the time he gets here Buffy is usually squealing with delight (Ziggy is just waiting for the treat).  It has become a daily ritual but has now come to an end.  Sadly, BTMM has retired after 22 years.  We had a neighborhood retirement party for him yesterday.  During his 22 years with the USPS, Bob took only four sick days.  He delivered mail to an average of 500 homes each day and walked 8 miles/day.  He is truly one of the nicest, most decent people I know.

Dogs were technically not invited to the retirement party (it would have been a melee!), but Rocco the Great Dane showed up - and who could say "no" to Rocco?  Here's a pic of Rocco and Bob.

Bob&Rocco2.jpg

• Like 3

Sweet story and a beautiful photo! There are a few Great Danes at our local dog run, one of which is a harlequin like the one shown. They are such regal, dignified dogs, gentle, playful and friendly. I feel privileged to tell you that when I sit on a bench, Finnegan actually sits on my lap!.. He backs up against me, and with his front legs on the ground, he lowers his hindquarters onto my knees. A sight to behold - and more than a lap full!😀

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

14 hours ago, sanford said:

Sweet story and a beautiful photo! There are a few Great Danes at our local dog run, one of which is a harlequin like the one shown. They are such regal, dignified dogs, gentle, playful and friendly. I feel privileged to tell you that when I sit on a bench, Finnegan actually sits on my lap!.. He backs up against me, and with his front legs on the ground, he lowers his hindquarters onto my knees. A sight to behold - and more than a lap full!1f600.png

Then you'll enjoy the other part of the story, Sanford:  I gave Bob a big hug before leaving the party and suddenly felt something coming between us.  It was Rocco's head, wedging us apart.  I think it was Rocco's way of saying "Bob is mine, not yours.  Hands off!".  😄

• Like 1

What a great mail man he must be - I see what shirt he is wearing !!

How nice to have a party for him.

Hoping Buffy and Ziggy get the new guy trained pretty quickly😄

• Like 1