CairnTalk

Air Travel Update

JoJo

I'm planning on flying Pepper on Southwest soon and am wondering if anyone has any recent info or feedback on the use of Acepromazine?  My vet gave me a prescription for it and I'm supposed to "test" her with it before we go, but I've read some scary things on the internet about using it.  Trying to decide what to do....definitely can't have her barking, but she normally doesn't bark much without reason (and I doubt if there will be any wandering cats on the plane).  It'll be a longish flight - about 4 hours.  Also, any recent experience with benadryl or melatonin as an alternative?

Can you give her something interesting to chew instead? Rosie was a worrier on long distance car rides. I asked our vet what we could do to make her less stressed out. She suggested giving this product a try. https://www.adaptil.com/ca_en#redirected

I was a bit sceptical but you know it worked like magic! Prior to putting her in the vehicle we sprayed her bed with it, a scarf which we then put on her...and we had a content dog. It's non prescription.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

My experience with Acepromazine hasn't been wonderful.  It made my dogs confused and tired but didn't seem to stop them from barking.  

I have used Benadryl in the past and it definitely seems to help.  Ziggy takes melatonin every evening (for his Cushing's) and it seems to make him drowsy.

• 1 month later...

Just an update for anyone interested....I ended up giving Pepper a very small dose (about 1/4 tablet) of the acepromazine after going through Security and by the time we arrived at Seatac (about 6 hours later) she was almost back to her normal self.  She used the dog relief area in St. Louis (very nice for Southwest flyers) and was quiet for the 4hour flight to Seattle.  I made the mistake of letting her head out about halfway to Seattle and next thing I knew she had half her body out!  Petted her to sleep and stuffed her back in, LOL.  She had no negative reaction to the drug, just was quiet and drowsy.  BTW, she is about 13 or so pounds.   Next trip will be by car and RV, probably easier on both of us.

• Like 1