CairnTalk

Buffy needs your prayers

hheldorfer

Haven't been online in a while so I'm just reading this post today and I must say I was holding my breath through it all.  I'm thrilled that Buffy is home now, eating, walking and feeling better.  I'm keeping Buffy in my prayers in hopes that she heals up quickly and has no further complications.  Sending you a hug, you must have been so frightened when Buffy first started to get sick.  These little dogs really do grab a hold of our hearts.  

I have read quite a few posts around the web regarding dogs having diabetes, especially as they become older.  Are they any signs to look out for regarding the onset of diabetes?   Did Buffy have any symptoms?

3 hours ago, LindaMC said:

I have read quite a few posts around the web regarding dogs having diabetes, especially as they become older.  Are they any signs to look out for regarding the onset of diabetes?   Did Buffy have any symptoms?

Buffy did have symptoms but they were attributed to other factors.  For example, she began drinking a LOT of water but the vet said that was to be expected when he had increased the dosage of Buffy's thyroid meds.  She lost some weight but we assumed that was because she switched to a "senior", lower-fat dog food.  Lastly, she seemed lethargic.  Ziggy was a bit lethargic too, so we figured it was due to the hot and humid weather.

So yes, the signs were there but we didn't read them correctly.

• Like 1

That can happen with humans also. My granddaughter has type one diabetes She seemed drink a lot and pee a lot but hey it's summer - it was not till she started losing weight - so unusual for a nine year old that her Mom began to be concerned. Now eight years later it's just part of life for her and doesn't prevent her being on the volley ball team going camping and doing whatever she wants.

I'm sure Buffy will not let diabetes get in her way either. Good lucky little cairn friend.

• Like 1

I'm so sorry to hear this news and pray for continued healing for Buffy. It has been a while since I was here and reported about our boy, Max.

I wish you the best and love.

GIna

21 minutes ago, Tuesday said:

Helene,

I am so happy to read that our sweet Buffy is on the mend.  How scary for you.

ox

Thanks, Tuesday.  Unfortunately her pathology results showed she has cancer.  I started a new topic "Hemangiosarcoma" to keep folks up to date.

Right now she's well and happy and we're going to try to keep her that way until the end.

• Like 1