CairnTalk

Shaved for a blood drawn

Account Deleted

Account Deleted

Has anyone's  dog been shaved for blood draw? My vet shaved his paw /leg first, he couldn't get blood so he next shave his neck??,  Otis  is getting  neutered next week .

Both were done with an electric shaver .  I know it's because of cleanliness of infection or whatever, but he could've prepared me, and his neck is shaved uneven.  Good thing is his blood work came back great .

Question is, when will his hair grow back on his paw/leg and his neck ?

thanks!

Edited by Account Deleted

Fear not - his hair will grow back.  I predict it will start to fill in within a week and a month from now you'll barely be able to see where it was shaved.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Otis's Mom said:

...My vet shaved his paw /leg first, he couldn't get blood so he next shaved his neck.. I know it's because of cleanliness of infection or whatever, but he could've prepared me...

I agree, and had the same reaction to my vet when she drew blood and also left a large shaved bare spot. As you mentioned, my vet explained the necessity of preventing infection from  a stray hair possibly coming in contact with the site where the blood was drawn, which is why they shave such a large area. But I feel very strongly that vets should let us know in advance what they are planning to do! After all... It's our dog, and we are paying for the procedure. Informing the owner should be the standard of care❗️

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!