CairnTalk

barking

Corn Niblet

Does anyone know when Cairn puppies start to bark?  I can't remember when Rocky started but Gus is 18 weeks old and tries to bark but only little squeaks  come out. Just worried there might be something wrong with his vocal cords. Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Pepper didn't actually bark until about 18-20 weeks.  She made lots of little ewok sounds and squeaks from when I brought her home (about 14 weeks). 

• Like 1

Corn niblet I suspect when Gus learns the art of the Cairn scream of death, you will fondly remember the silent times.:D

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Oh yeah, what Terrier Lover said and then some.  Maisie didn't bark to much at first, although we got her at 4 months of age, however, when she finally did find those vocal chords, she learned a new type of bark, whine or screech for every single purpose in her life.   So enjoy these days, it will not last for too much longer. :cry:

• Like 3

Does anyone have a video or audio recording of the "Screech of Death". I am not sure I have ever heard it out of Sassy. She rarely barks unless it is the UPS driver or the front door bell. I would say those are normally barks.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

I can't wait until someone posts a screech of death. Could be a great ringtone for the phone.

This is not the screech of death so far as I know. I don't know what to call it. We mainly call it Dinnertime.

The warranty has expired so it's too late to give him back :P Plus his breeder says it runs in the family. I should have done more research :w00t: 

Just kidding. While I could live without that noise I could not live without Dundee. 

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

I believe Idaho has a few videos on the Cairn scream(or screech) of death. Here is a good example on YouTube that I found. It is even 10 times worse when you are in the room with them.

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Idaho taking a video of  Bonnie and Sammie demonstrating the Scream of death very well.:D

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 5

We are first time Cairn owners. We have always had Scotties. We also currently have 2 Scotties. Our Cairn Crowley makes the most ungodly loud ear splitting scream/bark. Usually when it's someone walking their dog that he does not know or a evil tree rat ( Squirrel) . I swear our neighbors think we are murdering our dog. Any way to curb some of this what my husband calls "howler monkey" sound?

• Like 2

I don't whether to thank you for those videos or curse you. :D

I have never heard Sassy do that in her worst barking episode. I think I have heard the the start of it, but not with that intensity. I hope I never do.

That screech is beyond unbearable. :w00t:

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

2 hours ago, Listaley said:

Any way to curb some of this what my husband calls "howler monkey" sound?

No more than you can stop the sun from rising.:P

As a fellow Scottie and Cairn owner, welcome. Pictures are required please! I love the name Crowley. 

• Like 3

:wub:, the best two breeds anyone could wish for!

• Like 1

My sister (who has sensitive ears) has to leave the house when Pepper spots a squirrel outside!!! The high pitch is what kills her!!!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom

Yup - That is Oban from his perch on the back of the living room couch when he has seen either a squirrel or one of the evil dogs which others walk along our sidewalk...unfortunately we live on a corner so dogs approach from all directions.

His dinner and "outside" demands (and yes, they are DEMANDS) are voiced in a "woo woo."

Listaley - cute dogs! We do welcome some scotties here too...and the occasional westie...

• Like 2

I've noticed that Titan has a very distinct bark when he spots a snake on premises. He uses it only when, "here there be dragons"! He really freaks out when one slithers into his radar coverage. Had to pull him off a huge brown rat snake in the yard the other day. Quite a scene. :o

• Like 2