CairnTalk

Bladder Stones are Gone!!

LindaMC

Well Maisie's xray showed that the food worked and the stones are completely gone.  Her vet still wants her on antibiotics for another couple of weeks, which concerns me, as she's been on them for quite a while now.  After the next 2 weeks, she will have been on them for 2 months.  She wants to see her back in 3 months for a urine test. The stones were Struvite and they almost always stem from UTI's.  She's going to be on a prescription diet that is also weight management seeing that she put on a few pounds with the food. :o  We have a few choices this time, which isn't too bad and there's also some treats that go along with the Hills w/d but not the Hills Urinary SO.  There's both wet and dry so it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be, except of course, the price.  

I am so grateful that she doesn't have to have surgery. :)

• Like 7

very good news. the price will even out when you find the clinic fees going down. hope maisie is feeling good and the nasty problem doesn't come back

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Good news, indeed!

My previous Cairn, a male I adopted at 10, also had stones.  We did the antibiotic route, change of diet, and he ultimately had surgery.  We continued with the no grain food, supplemented with Kefir in the mornings, and other proteins.  He liked healthy treats like carrots and peanut butter (but be sure to check it, too, for bad things like xylitol).

He lived to be 18, and never had a stone again.  As he got old, we saw issues with incontinence, but were assured by the vet that it occurs in older Cairns.

I hope your dog continues to do well.  Other Cairn owners, and Cairn organizations are wonderful sources of help.

• Like 1