CairnTalk

Sam I Am

There has been discussions on getting another Cairn after one reaches a certain age of "maturity". Or when your old best friend dies. After I lost Jock I pondered if I would get another Cairn.( And of course this is a totally personal decision and I respect anyone who makes the decision to not get another animal for what ever reason.) We have Rosie, our Scottie, and I thought well, she is trained, sweet and fills our hearts to the fullest. But I wanted another Cairn...I wanted a companion for Rosie also as I think they really do well having a four legged buddy. My DH belongs to a BMW motorcycle club..mostly "mature" riders. When we decided yes for sure we wanted another Cairn, he excitedly told his bike club friends that we had contacted a breeder and would soon  have a baby Cairn in our home again. He was met with a volley of why would you want another dog, tied down, not free to travel etc. I enjoy travelling and have done a fair bit of it, my DH is more of a home body who is content with home and hearth. He told his friends that the love of a dog all yr round beats the heck out of a few weeks/months of travel. I have to agree with him. Travel these days is very expensive (we are Canadian and get the heck kicked out of our money when converted to US $$) .  So although we are "seniors" (I really hate that word as it insinuates old, frail, eats mushy food) we will always want our four legged companions in our lives. They are in our wills in the event they out live us and will be taken care of.  One has to live in the moment ( a hard concept I know) so for us not having another Cairn is not an option. Thanks to a few of my forums friends who have encouraged me along the way , telling me I am only just a "mature" person and not 110, life continues on and our four legged friends will come along on our life's journey. 

IMG_0152.JPG

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 9

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Being a homebody who's owned five BMW bikes over the years I can only agree with and support the wisdom of your DH :) 

Also, Not Old.  Although I was shaken the other day when on Senior Discount Wednesday at our local market the clerk ringing me out looked up briefly and without a word entered a 10% discount. Sigh.  

• Like 4

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

One of those squirmy pups is our. :wub:

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0090.jpeg

• Like 8

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

3 hours ago, bradl said:

...on Senior Discount Wednesday at our local market the clerk ringing me out looked up briefly and without a word entered a 10% discount. Sigh.  

Don't sweat it Brad! Remember - the clerks at check-out counters and in theater box office windows are often 18-19 years old. To them, anyone over the age of 30 looks ancient!:P

• Like 5

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I hope I am as lively and spry as you Hillcreek when I reach  my mid eighties! You have done a wonderful job of raising Angus!

• Like 4

I myself can't imagine not having a Cairn in the house. Would whole lot, rather have my pups, than the freedom to go anywhere. My DH has had bikes in the past and we loved it. We have been thought about getting another, and a side car to go with it. I'm sure the girls would love it. Kelly sure loves the riding mower. :lol:

• Like 6

Exactly - live life - every day there are choices with no guarantees - I will always have a dog in my life - would love a cairn always, but if some little creature at the adoptions grabs my heart before I nab a cairn - well, that will probably mean I will have a cairn on the back burner just waiting for me.  A dog is one of God's greatest creations - and we (here at cairn talk) all know the love of a dog. 

• Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Agree with all - hope to have a cairn buddy the rest of my life. If hasn't stopped us from traveling: in the US, Oban comes along and makes the trip more fun. When we leave the country his favorite dogsitter moves into the house. And if traveling meant I couldn'the have a dog, I guess I would stop traveling...we are pretty content here as is with house, garden, friends, books, art and our dog. Our plan, as we age and travel less, is to add a second dog!

So I understand your choice, Terrier Lover. And cannot wait for puppy pictures!

And Brad - I never turn down a discount, for whatever reason!

• Like 1

At age 60 I know these will be my last Cairns. I will be 75 if they make it to 15!  So glad I made the choice to get a friend for Rocky. He and Gus are still getting along great. I never felt right about leaving my dogs at a kennel or having a pet sitter come in so I have not had many vacations, but I plan to take Rocky and Gus with me since they are small and travel well.  Good luck on your new little one!

• Like 2