CairnTalk

Panting and trembling during storms

CharlaysServant

Hello all,

It's been quite a long time since I've last posted here on the forums.  I just wish there was more time in the day to keep up with everything!  Hahah...I'm sure many of you are busy as well.

Here in California, we've been getting a good amount of rain storms (thank goodness our 5 year drought is almost over!).  At night during the stronger storms where the rain is hitting the side of the house and windows, he gets very anxious.  He starts panting heavily and his whole body trembles.  We tried keeping him with us in bed but he just stands there and eventually jumps down and tries to "burrow" anywhere he can fit.  Under the bed, under a dresser drawer...last night he managed to work his way onto the lower shelf of a small rolling cart we have.  

We tried putting him in his kennel but he will scratch and paw at the latches incessantly.  At least he isn't barking, which at this point would drive me mad.

I feel so sorry for the little guy and I don't know what to do.

My wife is going to bring him to the vet to see if maybe there is something we can give him to calm him down.

His appetite is fine and when it is not raining (or thundering) he seems pretty normal.

One other note, which I find pretty bizarre, is when the power goes out, he does the same thing...starts panting and trembling.  Even if it is NOT raining hard outside.

We haven't had much sleep the past 2 nights as the rain has been pretty hard and Charlay is not a happy camper when it is raining hard.

He had similar issues when he first heard our central heater turn on for the first time, but he eventually got used to it.

Any tips for me to try?  Cotton in his ears?  Create a new place for him to "burrow" into to feel more safe?

Thanks all!!

Nice to hear from you again!

This is a common problem and there are a variety of solutions that people have used.  Buffy reacts the same as Charlay during storms and power outages.  She has gotten better as the years have gone by but she still gets nervous and agitated.  We do a few things:  1) Close all the shades so the lightning isn't as noticeable, 2) Turn on the TV or play some music to help drown out the thunder, and 3) Try to distract her with toys or an indoor game of fetch with her favorite squeaky ball.  If none of that works or if it's a particularly violent storm, I wrap her in a blanket and hold her in my lap or curl up with her on the bed.  As long as her head is covered she seems to stay relatively calm.

We tried giving her a mild tranquilizer (prescribed by our vet) but it honestly didn't seem to do anything to help the situation.  Some folks here have used the 'Thunder Vest' with some success too.  

Stick around - others will surely weigh in soon!

wish i could help, but Keira seems to love storms, have to block her from the doggie door when there is a clap of thunder. I"m sure  you will  have many good ideas from the wonderful people on the forum. Good Luck!

'

• Like 2

If you do a search under 'afraid of storms' or something similar you may find some help. Angus is not afraid but with another dog I had I found it important to remain cheerful and normal myself. If you say 'poor doggy' etc they pick up your mood and may think there really is something to be afraid of.

When my electricity goes out, several devices start a high pitches beep (backup devices for computers, lights etc). Perhaps you have some of these.

2 hours ago, pkcrossley said:

When my electricity goes out, several devices start a high pitches beep (backup devices for computers, lights etc). Perhaps you have some of these.

That could well be it.  I do have 1 battery backup UPS.  Will have to turn it off during a power outage and see if he calms down.

5 hours ago, Hillscreek said:

If you do a search under 'afraid of storms' or something similar you may find some help. Angus is not afraid but with another dog I had I found it important to remain cheerful and normal myself. If you say 'poor doggy' etc they pick up your mood and may think there really is something to be afraid of.

I'll give it a try.  Google searches end up scaring me more than helping as some people say there could be medical conditions to be looked at.  

14 hours ago, kieiras mom said:

wish i could help, but Keira seems to love storms, have to block her from the doggie door when there is a clap of thunder. I"m sure  you will  have many good ideas from the wonderful people on the forum. Good Luck!

'

Indeed.  I do like being able to reach out to fellow cairn owners and hearing their experiences and advice.

17 hours ago, hheldorfer said:

Nice to hear from you again!

This is a common problem and there are a variety of solutions that people have used.  Buffy reacts the same as Charlay during storms and power outages.  She has gotten better as the years have gone by but she still gets nervous and agitated.  We do a few things:  1) Close all the shades so the lightning isn't as noticeable, 2) Turn on the TV or play some music to help drown out the thunder, and 3) Try to distract her with toys or an indoor game of fetch with her favorite squeaky ball.  If none of that works or if it's a particularly violent storm, I wrap her in a blanket and hold her in my lap or curl up with her on the bed.  As long as her head is covered she seems to stay relatively calm.

We tried giving her a mild tranquilizer (prescribed by our vet) but it honestly didn't seem to do anything to help the situation.  Some folks here have used the 'Thunder Vest' with some success too.  

Stick around - others will surely weigh in soon!

Thanks for these suggestions.  Luckily the power didn't go out during this last storm so he's good for now.  My wife brought him to the vet yesterday and he came back with a clean bill of health...said he's a tad bit overweight at 21lbs.  The vet prescribed a sedative so we'll have to wait until the next big storm and power outage to give it a try.

Thanks all for your suggestions and words of encouragement! 

Here is a pic I took of Charlay this morning before leaving for work.

20170124_102631.jpg

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, hheldorfer said:

Buffy wants to know if Charlay has plans for Saturday night . . . :wub:

I'll have to check!   He's not shy at all and might come across as a little forward. :)

• Like 2

Hope everything OK now. I meant do a search on the forum not on google. Agree that is not always helpful.

Angus thinks Charlay is the kind of guy he'd like to hang out with - too bad he is way out the on the west coast.

1 hour ago, CharlaysServant said:

I'll have to check!   He's not shy at all and might come across as a little forward. :)

Trust me:  "A little forward" works great for Buffy.:P

• Like 2

Just popping in to say that if Charlay is overweight, I'm an elephant. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

As for the nerves, maybe try some Benadryl? For a Cairn at 21 lbs, 1/2 an over the counter pill given when you know a storm is coming might have enough sedative effect to keep him calm. I based the dosage on what my veterinarian (who is also my dad) suggested for Addie's allergies. 

Or maybe you could make him a den in a closet. You say being in the crate makes things worse so maybe being in a windowless room with a place to burrow, like a closet, might give him some feeling of safety. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

I like whits idea of a den. Maybe a simple way to do that is put Charlay in his crate and lay several towels over it to block the light, much like people do for bird cages at night.

• Like 1

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

3 hours ago, remltr said:

much like people do for bird cages at night.

We have indeed used crate covers for certain noisy puppies in the past, with great effect. Our shorthand was 'parakeet' as in, "I think we better make Dixie a parakeet."

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

:confused1: :confused1: :confused1:

This topic raises a few thoughts and questions as well...

Thanfully both my cairns haven't had thunderstorm issues, but in the past I cared for a pooch who did, and I witnessed the inconsolable panic firsthand.

She would always seek out the bathroom and cower next to the toilet. I assume this had something to do with metal pipes/electric currents/charges in the atmosphere, but I don't understand this dynamic and wonder if this is worth investigating as a clue to understanding how to better cope.

i feel very conflicted re the advice not to try to soothe, cuddle or comfort the dog. This sounds counter-intuitive to me, (Granted these are canines, not humans, so I see the possible weakness in my premise). However, the more recent research I read, the more evidence surfaces that our pets, as well as most animals/mammals lead much deeper, richer emotional lives than previously understood. Undeniably, we all experience our dogs coming to us for comfort when upset, frightened, uneasy, etc., Clearly, they have the capacity to be reassured and calmed by us, so shouldn't this extend to comforting during a thunderstorm as well?  I'm not sure I agree with the premise that holding and reassuring the dog is wrong - that it reinforces their fear, to tell them "that its alright."

But then again, if their panic is irrational, our efforts to help will be in vain. So I'm back where I started...?

Edited by sanford
  • Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Some great advice and suggestions and I will take all to heart and figure out how to best address his anxiety during storms.

Thanks all!