CairnTalk

Would like others' opinions on Sam-E

hheldorfer

I'm posting this for Ziggy, our Shih Tzu/Silky mix.  Even though he's not a Cairn I figured this belonged in 'Behavior & Health' rather than 'Non-Cairn Pals'.  Feel free to move it if necessary, Brad.

Ziggy had a bout of diarrhea/vomiting last week (we think he caught a bug while at the groomer) and had to see the vet.  While he was there they ran a blood test on his liver enzymes because he has previously been diagnosed with probable Cushing's.  His numbers had doubled and tripled from his last blood test, which was approximately 2-3 months ago.  The vet started  him on Sam-E.  I read through the various references to Sam-E here on the forum but want some personal opinions/observations from folks who have first-hand experience.  Anything I should watch for?  

Jock  was on Sam-e for 6.5 yrs after being diagnosed with active Hep. I would also suggest milk thistle. Make sure it's a good brand (without alcohol in it). What really made a huge difference was when the vet put him on ursodiol, his liver enzymes dropped to a Quarter of what they were.He lived for over 6.5 yrs after being diagnosed with chronic active Hep , no symptoms, until  cancer got him. But it's all the above that gave him a great quality of life.

• Like 4

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Our previous cairn lived another two years on SAM-E, after we were sent home on a Friday being told she may not last the weekend. Her liver counts were so high they were surprised that she was still with us.

i wouldn't hesitate.

Melinda - Tewcsby's mom

• Like 5

So sorry to hear that Ziggy is under the weather, hope he bounces back very soon...:(  I can't offer any advice on SAM-e but would like to offer both you and Ziggy a hug.  From what other's have said regarding their experience with SAM-e, it sounds like it could help him feel a lot better.  

Happy, Healthy New Year to both you and the Zig-Man.....:hug:

• Like 2

Ziggy and I thank you for your responses.  It was a struggle to get him to take the SAM-e pill (the pill is rather large) but we finally found the answer:  Tuck it in with his pumpkin at dinner.  He thinks it's just another piece of kibble.  

I'm happy to report Ziggy is 100% recovered from his stomach problems.  He's back pestering Buffy and chasing squirrels.  I hope the SAM-e can help him stay happy and healthy.  He may not be a Cairn but he is the sweetest little guy in the world - and a real comedian, too.

• Like 8

So Ziggy has now been on the SAM-e for about a week.  The one thing I've noticed is that he is insatiably hungry.  He's always been quite a beggar, but now he acts as if we are starving him to death.  Anyone else notice a bump in appetite with the SAM-e?

Never with Jock. Is he losing weight?  Cushings can really ramp up theirs appetite and I gather it is a hit or miss in diagnosing it. Perhaps have the vet do another test?

Edited by Terrier lover

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

2 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

Never with Jock. Is he losing weight?  Cushings can really ramp up theirs appetite and I gather it is a hit or miss in diagnosing it. Perhaps have the vet do another test?

Ziggy has lost some weight over the past 6 months or so - which was a good thing -  since we started giving him Adrenal Harmony.  My understanding is that, for dogs with Cushings, the Adrenal Harmony suppresses the appetite and brings it back to a normal level.  I can't say for sure that the SAM-e is what's causing him to suddenly be ravenous, but it seems too much of a coincidence that his appetite ramped up as soon as he started taking the SAM-e.

He's due for another blood test in 3 weeks and we'll discuss with the vet at that time.  

• Like 1

I don't know how I missed this but Addie and I wanted to send our love and cuddles to Ziggy. I hope he's feeling better, both from the bug he caught and on his new medicine. 

I don't have any knowledge or experience with Sam-E, but I do have some experience with Cushing's. My mom's terrier (when she was newly married) and my Maltese (from childhood) both had Cushing's but their primary treatment (I believe - I was child and then teenager at the time with the Maltese) was prednisone. I remember my Maltese Autumn losing weight, losing hair, and having an insatiable appetite, but I believe that was less the Cushing's and more the prednisone. It was never pleasant trying to find the right balance of medicine and diet, but I will say that both my mom's dog and my Maltese lived fulfilling lives well into their teens. 

I hope you find a good protocol for Ziggy and he continues to be the cutie we know and love here. Addie and I have a real soft spot for Shih Tzus!

• Like 2

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley