CairnTalk

Gus gets an adjustment

Islander

On Sunday, Gus and I were out for a neighbourhood walk when all of a sudden he hiked up his right hind leg and would not put it down. I examined his paw and felt his leg, he did not yelp or flinch. In a couple of minutes he put his leg down and carried on as normal. I thought maybe he stepped on something sharp. Then on Tuesday it happened again, only this time did not resolve immediately. I called my vet and was lucky to get their last appointment for the next day. I carried him around the house and settled him down on the couch. A couple of hours later when I was preparing his food, he jumped down from the couch and came running. Still favouring that right hind foot a bit.

By the next morning he seemed totally normal but I took him anyway, since it had happened twice in a short time and the second time seemed worse. Again I was lucky that both vets were in and one of them does chiropractic. His usual vet thought his back seemed "active" and got the other vet to assess him. Apparently his SI joint and L3 vertebra were totally out of whack, and she gave him a chiropractic adjustment! 

It took 2 vets and a vet tech to keep this little 14 pound guy still! 

I did not see the procedure as I am banned from being in the same room when Gus is having anything iffy done. He picks up on my anxiety so fast and just panics. He is much easier to handle if I am not present.

He seems absolutely fine now but is being kept on leash over the weekend. I have another treatment set for next week but the vet said to cancel it if he doesn't spasm again. At least I know what the problem is now, and what to do if it does happen again.

So thankful for my vets! I really did not want to take him to the emergency clinic.

I guess we all need a little adjustment from time to time, as we get older. I wouldn't want any attitude adjustment for Gus's though!

Here's hoping for a peaceful and healthy holiday for everyone and their Cairns.

• Like 5

How lucky was that, getting the last appointment of the day AND being able to see the chiropractic vet?  Glad to hear Gus is A-OK now and ready for some serious Christmas begging.:)

• Like 1

Glad to hear Gus is doing better. Having back problems myself and going to the chiropractor I can say one treatment is not enough, at least for humans. It takes a few treatments for the spine to adjust. Good luck and Happy Holidays.

I hope Gus gets some long lasting relief. Sending cuddles and kisses from Colorado!

I'd be lost without a chiropractor for my SI issues. 

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley