CairnTalk

The heck with the Cubs

Malcolm's Dad

This Cubs  stuff is getting crazy. I was just watching the news. Some ticket prices have gone to $1700 to over $2000 for regular seats. Seats closer to the field are going for much more. Now the bars that line the streets around Wrigley Field are charging a $100 cover charge to enter the bar to watch on TV. I didn't know there are so many people in Chicago that would pay that much for a baseball game.

To make matters worse they have prohibited parking for 1/2 mile around Wrigley Field for the whole weekend. People that live there may have to park 1 mile away if they can find a parking spot and walk back home. hheldorfer's son lives around there. I hope he and wife can find a way to get home with their baby.

This sports stuff is all about money and the Wrigley people and bar owners could care less about the people. I don't care if the Cubs win or lose. Just get it over and let people get back to their normal lives.

I've been hearing the reports of all the madness on the news.  As a huge fan of baseball, I'm excited for the Cubs and look forward to the games but I completely understand how insane things get in Wrigleyville at a time like this.  There's no parking to begin with and the neighborhood is always congested; a major event like this pushes everything to its limit.

My stepson, daughter-in-law and granddaughter are at the edge of the parking ban, on Racine.  Luckily they have parking in the (sort of) garage behind their apartment, so that won't be an issue.  Thanks for thinking of them.:)

Hang in there.  It will be over Sunday night and life will (maybe) get back to normal.

As a goat owner, we are really hoping the curse will end.  I've told our herd about the goat named Murphy - I have to explain to my Cairn,Murphy, that this is not about him.  He thinks it's always about him. :P

We do think a goat day at Wrigley would help.  

Go Cubs!!!

• Like 2

hheldorfer glad to hear your stepson and  family are not having trouble. I still feel sorry for people that live around there. The neighborhood is extremely congested. Bad enough but worse now. I don't think it is right that wealthy people profit from the expense (time and trouble) from average people. If you like baseball that is fine. Close the park and put the baseball on  TV.

Very glad parking OK for hheldorfer. Sounds like a nightmare in Chicago right now.

I'm a long time fan (since 1966) of the Cubs but I gotta say I'm glad I haven't been to a game in many years. I have only the fond memories of the old time "friendly confines" when all was so much simpler in that small park with the old scoreboard, the fun fanatic bleacher folks, the, as I seem to remember it, somewhat raggedy ivy on the wall, the folks  in the apartments in back hanging out the windows, and what was his name again ? who called the games, and a chance to see Mr Cub himself play his final games...........it was really something back then - a fun day out. Not sure I would the feel the same if I could go back there now even if it wasn't the world series. Big money changes many things. Better to be cheering them on from several hundred miles away.:lol: Go Cubs :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Not a real baseball fan. The closest I get to the real thing is every couple years having a medium rare peppercorn New York strip steak at Harry Caray's restaurant in Rosemont. Only a true Cubs fan would understand where I am coming from.

http://www.harrycarays.com/

• Like 2

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

:D:D:D on the lookout for :D tonight!

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

:D :D :D :D 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Cubs.jpg

What a game! Couldn't ask for a more thrilling event with such an awesome ending. Cubs waited 108 years. I myself have waited 50! ⚾️???

Edited by Hillscreek
  • Like 4

Tho not a Cubs fan, even tho I grew up in Southern Illinois (making me a Cardinal fan) I certainly extend my congratulations to any hard core, long time Cubbie fan--it has been a long wait for this moment.  You guys enjoy the thrill of victory.

The Cubs may have won the pennant. That isn't going to stop the inconvenience of 100s of Chicagoans. Last night they continued the parking ban around Wrigley and extended it along the Red Line train system from Wrigley to almost downtown Chicago. That is almost 8 miles of streets people cannot park on. If they want to do that then the Wrigley people should provide parking spots for the cars and shuttle busses to bring people to their homes. Now they are planning a celebration in the city and the parking ban will continue.

When the Blackhawks hockey team won a trophy last year the city held a parade in downtown Chicago. It went for 1/2 mile down Washington street and then 1/2 mile down Michigan Avenue to Grant Park. I was there to watch it. It lasted for two hours. The streets were closed during the parade and then opened when the parade was over. That makes sense. A temporary distruption in traffic to celebrate a victory.

What is going on now is insane. I understand the exitement because the Cubs won. Baseball fans are very happy and that is good. What is not good are the crowds of people surrounding Wrigley field (which was closed last night) who caused a complete disruption of the neighborhood. It was supposed to be open to let the crowds watch the game on TV but then the Wrigley people changed their mind. Even the Wrigley people did not want them coming into the stadium.

Edited by Malcolm's Dad

I can only imagine what the neighborhood will be like tomorrow, with the celebration and parade.  It will probably make the Blackhawks celebration look like a kid's birthday party in comparison.

• Like 1

Congratulations to all Cub Fans everywhere. As a Texas Ranger fan, i was kind of split on who to root for, but the 3rd base coach for the Cubs is from our home town here, and went to school with my oldest son.

• Like 1

Sorry about all the disruption, Malcolm's Dad.  But -- even as a basketball fan rather than a baseball fan -- I am very happy the Cubs won. And I even watched the game -- yelping in excitement -- and Oban could not figure out why I was yelling so often! Whew - worth the watch!

• Like 1

That's quite an impressive crowd. From the air it looks like a big field of wild flowers  ? ? ?. Now when I see a large field of flowers, I will think of them as a mass of wild people B):wub:-_-:D:lol:.