CairnTalk

Ruby's Heartworm Treatment

Bridget

When we got Ruby in July, she had heartworms, and was on doxycycline to be followed by the actual treatment.  She had her first treatment which consisted of 1 injection a week or so after we got her and she did great.  We kept her pretty quiet and she had no ill effects at all.  Last Friday she had the second round which consisted of 2 injections.  The vet kept her overnight and then boarded her for the weekend as we were going out of town.  When we got her home Monday  she was very lethargic and tired, still had a great appetite and has gradually gotten some energy back. She is still not interested in playing, but when we take her out or someone comes to the house, she's got the old Ruby bounce/strut back.  I have treated a dog for heartworms before (a corgi), but he did not have any negative reaction to the treatment.  That was some years ago though, and maybe the treatment has changed since then?  Just wondering if anyone has experience with heartworm treatment and if this is normal. 

I think every dog, just like every person, has the potential to react to treatment differently. Heartworm treatment is by no means an easy protocol because it has to deal with a nasty and dangerous disease. Some lethargy is to be expected, although extreme lethargy (not moving, eating, drinking, etc) would be cause for worry. I would not worry as long as she is eating, drinking, pooping, and peeing normally, especially if she has some bursts of energy in her. But the best thing would be to ask your vet if her reaction is normal because they see this enough to know what would be a concerning reaction. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Many years ago I had a German Shepard who contracted heartworm.  I don't recall many details except I remember that he was very lethargic during the treatment although he continued eating/peeing/pooping normally.  I agree with Whits - ask the vet whether he/she thinks Ruby's behavior is normal.  Good luck and keep us updated on her progress!

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouraging words.  Ruby is feeling much better and hopefully the worst is over.  I know that once the drug killed the worms her little body has to absorb them  while at the same time the dead worms are gumming up the works, so to speak.  She's definitely a trouper!

• Like 1

Glad Ruby feeling better. Heartworm treatment can be tough. Today's treatments may be an improvement over long ago when my retriever was treated - arsenic was in the medication in those days. It did the job but the side effects were severe, vomiting, loss of appetite, general weakness. He nearly died and was at the vets for a long time not sure exactly but more than a week. Coming home it took him months to get his strength back. But he did come back and lived till he was nearly fourteen.

• Like 1

I'm sorry little Ruby has to go through this. She is a trouper. I hope she is feeling better every day. :)

• Like 1

How is Ruby feeling?

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Ruby is much better.  A little cough once in a while but otherwise doing terrific.  The vet thinks she should lose a pound, which didn't seem like a lot to me until I figured out it's about 7% of her body weight.  Since she's been having the heartworm treatment she can't exercise much, but we have cut her food back a bit and are supplementing with green beans for volume.  She likes them and of course I'm one of "those" pet owners who cooks fresh green beans, but if she's eating vegetables, she should have the most nutrients she can get. We are all feeling much better now that she's over the hump.  I appreciate everyone's advice and good words. This is a great forum.

• Like 4

Wonderful to hear she's doing so much better!