CairnTalk

Horse and dog

Rylee's mama

Many of you on the forum know horses and have horses. I might be bringing a horse over to my property or might be buying a horse because I am an English rider. How do I introduce a dog to a horse?

Angus grew up with Morgans. His breeder family take their Morgan horses and cairn dogs, horse camping in the mountains where they live. I was amazed at how relaxed Angus was when we first visited friends with horses. And he took no notice of them at a big driving show we went to. He gives every other animal a hard time (no, Angus DO NOT try to boss a mule!! Or catch a deer ---- and leave the cows to farm manager Dempsey.)

I expect someone will come along soon with suggestions about how to introduce a cairn (older than a new born pup!) to a horse. Hope it works out for you both.

Terrier Lover has a horse, so she may have some suggestions for you. I think she is on vaca at the moment. :)

I have zero input on this. :(

But I do have a picture that has become one of my favorites that I took while visiting friends in Louisiana, and it just seemed appropriate to the topic.  (Neither of the pictured animals belong to me, but I greatly loved watching them interact.)  :)

IMG_3697.JPG

• Like 2
Becky & Tanner

Well having had horses all my life ...what I can tell you is , it all depends :whistle:. Most of my horses have been very tolerant of our dogs. Two not so much. As a matter of fact one would go out of his way to try to kill a dog, by snaking his head and trying to nail them with a front hoof. Not a good situation. I would have the dog on a leash for sure for a while at least till you know the reactions of both animals. The dog must not at any time try to chase the horse. This should be not tolerated at all. It's a sure way for a spooky horse to run a fence, or a horse that kicks the dogs teeth out. Plus once dogs start running any live stock you have a big problem. A farmer will land up shooting your dog. And remember even if both animals are good with each other, a dog under foot is bound to get stepped on. That means broken bones.  Just take things slowly and watch the reaction of both animals.

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

• bradl changed the title to Horse and dog

Yes, you need to be careful.  I my case Dempsy and Peppy played.  Demps would bark and Peppy would jump around and play, but when I rode Pep Dempsy was still viewed as a playmate and it didn't make for a pleasant ride, so I just made sure Demps wasn't around when I took Pep out, but they had fun together.  I think Pepper was bored and enjoyed Dempsy coming out to play with her.  Demps ... usually ... never got in the pen with her - he usually ran the fence on the other side and Pepper would run on the opposite side.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

very much in agreement with the last two comments. i have always seen horses and dogs living on the same property, but i have seen only one horse that showed any fondness for a dog --it is notable, since horses can be very affectionate with goats, rabbits, and cats. you think of horses and dogs doing the hunt together, but in that case the horses are behind the dogs, and even at that there are many, many instances of horses just doing away with beagles with a swift kick. dogs do alright around horses if they learn to respect them --which basically means, to keep their distance and keep their silence. most horses are aloof around dogs, but some are wary --they have had too many experiences of getting worried or chased by dogs. a few horses take matters into their own hands (as it were) by lungeing at dogs, grabbing them by the scruff, and giving them a terrier-style death shake. i know one horse who killed a dog that way and another who tried it.

as prey animals horses seem not to feel the slightest fellowship with wolves, no matter how diminutive and cute they may be, and they are willing to put up with them as long as they believe that care is being taken to keep the dogs from exciting the horses' self-protective instincts. so, i agree, it depends on how confident and tolerant the horse is, and how well the dog can keep in his or her place. a cairn does not sound like a natural around horses to me. but, if the dog figures out (if only by watching the owner) that staring at horses or barking at them is completely off the table, and knows enough to keep well away from horses' hooves or teeth, it should be perfectly possible --horses and cairns have shared the same farms on both sides of the atlantic for centuries. if i were there, i would keep myself between the cairn and the horse, and make sure the cairn understood that getting between me and the horse is a very big no no. that should work out alright. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 1

thank you for all the advice i am thinking about making a fenced in yard so he can't get to the horse and can't eat stuff.

• Like 1