CairnTalk

It brought a tear to my eye

Hillscreek

After our walk today we stopped off at our vet for more Bravecto. There was a new item on the shelf where you check in. A jar with a candle inside. Behind a note that says "If this candle is lit someone is saying goodbye to a friend. Please speak quietly at this distressing time".

I've been with this vet many, many years. When I have had to say goodbye she tries to schedule it at a quiet time. But of course that is not always possible.

What a thoughtful thing to do. I immediately thought of the ones I'd said goodbye to over the years and of Packy so recently leaving his cairn family. A tear came to my eye and is still there as I write this.

Does your vet do anything special when a loved pet has to leave?

• Like 4

My vet always schedules those sad appointments at the end of the day, and her staff are so compassionate and kind. The candle is a very thoughtful idea.

What a wonderful thing to do.  I never noticed at our vet, but I work in hospice care and at our house whenever a patient dies, we have a plug in candle at the nurse's station and hang an angel on the door..

I think this is a lovely thing to do. The only time I had to go through this was when I put my Mandy down. The waiting room was packed. I had to wait about 10 minutes, standing in a corner, before I was ushered into a room. After she passed, I had to stand in line for several minutes, with me holding her in a box, to pay. (The ex went outside to the car, but that's another story.) An awful experience compounded by the office's gross insensitivity. So it's very nice to hear that most vet offices show heaps more compassion and sensitivity.

• 1 month later...

Lovely and very thoughtful of the vet. When we had scheduled the time for Haylee to be put down, our vet scheduled it at the  end of  his short day. Most are so sensitive and thoughtful in these times. Sorrow for the  lack of concern when your baby was put down Autumn

• Like 1