CairnTalk

Bed Accidents

Rate this topic

Jenna603

Hi there, I am a new owner of a 7 year old Cairn named Honey. I moved honey 300 miles away in a new house. She is having trouble adjusting and pee's alot. She pee's everywhere from on the floor to in my bed. I know she knows it is wrong because after she does it and I find it she hides. 

Does anyone have any tips on how I can re-train her?

Welcome, Jenna and Honey!

The first step should be a visit to the vet to make sure Honey doesn't have a urinary tract infection or some other medical issue that is causing the problem.  It's not uncommon for a dog to temporarily "forget" her training after going through major changes (such as your move) but, because Honey is showing remorse after she does it, I'd be inclined to think there's something else going on and she can't help it.

• Like 5

Okay, I started giving her bladder support vitamins to see if it would help. It has a little bit. I will take her in and see what is going on. Thanks!

You are so right to be concerned for Honey and I agree with Heldorfer that a vet checkup is warranted. Poor Honey is upset and I know you want to help her so the best way to do that would be a vet appointment ASAP!

UTI's are not uncommon and most are easily, routinely treated with antibiotics, but bladder support vitamins, as good as they might be, can never clear up an infection, and delaying treatment can cause the infection, (if that is what it is), to become much worse. 

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Agree with above. Have vet check. If she is OK I might consider retraining like when she was a pup. Just be matter of fact about taking her out on leash to the place where you want her to go. Take her frequently. Praise when she goes. Maybe that will relax her as she learns where to go and that her new home is a safe place. Be calm around her all the time. If you are anxious she will know and be anxious too. Cairns pick up on our feelings very quickly.

PS Welcome to you both. Post pics please:)

• Like 2

Agree with the agreements :P and the welcomes.

Assuming it's a purely behavioral thing, it never hurts to go back to square one with training. Moving can be a big deal for some dogs and they don't always generalize well. Things they know in one environment don't always transfer perfectly at first to different environments. The good news is having learned once they usually relearn very quickly.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club | 2025 Calendar

I called her previous vet. Apparently this has been an issue for a while. I tried to put diapers on her at night but she just rips them off while I am asleep. I wanted to avoid caging her at night but I am running out of options I feel. 

This morning when I got up to use the restroom she had an accident on my bed. Thankfully I put a plastic mattress cover on there a couple nights ago. I just feel guilty. 

I also started with training treats. I give her 1 everytime she pottys outside. They seem to help with all other accidents in the house but my bed. 

Edited by Jenna603

As has been suggested here, I hope you take Honey to the vet. In the meantime, for your sanity, reconsider crating her at night with a few treats or toys. As I'm sure you know, many dogs like their crate/dens as long as they are not used as punishment.

• Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Idaho Cairns

I agree with the vet check as a baseline to determine if the urination is a physical problem or a behavior problem.  Tho you don't state as much, you seem to indicate that Honey is a rescue that you had shipped to your home some distance from her previous owners (perhaps her behavior is the reason she was in a rescue situation?).  Change in location can be a problem for some dogs and could be the reason for her urination behavior.  What I have found that works with dogs is getting them curious about and used to an outside area where they can go potty in complete comfort.  You don't indicate what your housing situation is--backyard, fencing, area to roam, etc?  I might suggest, if you have the security to do so, let Honey spend more time outside, investigating and marking her "territory", don't be too quick to pick up all the leavings so to speak, let her  find her "special area" of your yard, get comfortable with it and maybe that will give her the motivation she needs to want to go out and mark where she wants.

Edited by Idaho Cairns
  • Like 3

I for sure think you should also take her to a new vet.  They can check the urine for infection and perhaps bladder stones if necessary . If its a behavioral issue there are great  suggestions from site members. Urinary tract infections are easy to treat but if not treated can lead to bladder stones and major health issues.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

17 hours ago, Idaho Cairns said:

Honey's family gave her away because their 4 year old son was allergic to her. I am not sure if any of the behavior issues tie into that because her old mom would say "a tired honey is a good honey" lol. My housing situation is a little difficult. We have no fence but she likes to go out there on a tie out. 

At her old home she was the only dog with a structured family. My home consists of 3 roommates, myself, and another small dog. Honey seems to have taken the dominance roll but it took some time to get there. 

I have made an appointment with a vet for a urinalysis. 

One good thing though, She slept on my bed last night (she had a diaper on until she tore it off in the middle of the night) and she did not have an accident. Yay!

• Like 2