CairnTalk

Scooting and anal glands

remltr

Sassy in the last 3 months has had her anal glands expressed twice, most recently two weeks ago. Three months ago her left gland was plugged, two weeks ago her right.

A day after each expression she was scooting again. I am wondering if it is something else that is causing her discomfort. No fleas found so the only thing I can think of is a sliver, but unable to find anything.

The only recommendation of the vet is that it may come time to remove her glands if it gets to the point of needing expression on a monthly basis. So we are not there yet.

Anyone have any ideas what else to look for?

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

Both Buffy and Ziggy tend to scoot after having their anal glands expressed.  The vet told us that the procedure irritates the area and that's the reason for the scooting.  

We sometimes put a little hemorrhoid cream on their butts and it seems to help. 

• Like 1

You might want to try more fiber  in her food. Try adding some plain pumpkin in her daily diet.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Idaho Cairns

Don't know what to suggest, we have one dog (sammi) who regularly scoots, gets expressed and keeps on doing the scoots while Bonnie has never, that I have observed, ever done it.  Their diets are exactly the same so .....?
In observing Sammi's frequent scooting, I'm almost to the point of thinking it is just a habit with her--it is so frequent.  I have had some success, or seeming success, by firmly pressing a cool, wet compress on her butt--she tolerates the procedure and it does seem to bring some relief.
Every time the vet "expresses" her, they tell me they get little to no discharge so I really don't know what's going on.

I had a dog (not a Cairn) that had to have her glands expressed often and did a lot of scooting. She'd scoot before the glands were expressed, after they were expressed, when she'd get a 'potty patch' done at the groomer's - she always seemed to have butt irritation. We never got to the bottom of it (no pun intended!). As Idaho said with Sammi, it seemed to just be a habit with my Mandy. She didn't seem particularly bothered by it, or do it all the time, and would stop when we told her to. I never even knew the glands could be removed. What does that do to their pottying?

I should have said that previously Sassy never scooted unless her glands need expressing. Once done she was good for at least a year with no scooting. Now it is almost daily and sometimes very aggressively and she will sometimes vocalize her discomfort while scooting. It is not a 24/7 sort of thing, but a couple times a day and then nothing for a day or so and then back to scooting.

The vet said removing the glands will not have any detrimental effect. The glands are simply for scent. They express themselves when a solid poop is dispensed. No specifically known reason why they get plugged.

Will try the pumpkin and hemorrhoid cream. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sassy Jan 22, 2005

AM. CH. THARRBARR LITE MY FIRE ZOMERHOF

We have LOTS of problems with scooting/anal glands.  Tanner's actually ended up with anal gland abscesses multiple times.  He's had to undergo anesthetic and have them lanced.  They come up so quickly, they're hard to catch.  Luckily, it's been a full year since he's had one.  Our trial & error solution, as well as lab tests, XRays, etc., have come down to GI concerns, allergies (both food & seasonal) and a B12 deficiency.  He is now on a prescription diet only (no treats or table food), 2 different medications and a monthly B12 injection.  I also use neosporin and/or anti-itch ointment if he seems to still be having problems.  It's been an expensive, painful journey.  I typically check his bottom at least twice daily to make sure he's not getting another abscess because I want to spare him that pain.

And sometimes, he still scoots & has to have his anal glands expressed.  :(  

Sorry you are having these concerns!  Hopefully, they can be sorted out for you & Sassy!

Becky & Tanner