CairnTalk

Stella's Barnhunt Adventures

bradl

Stella is working on her Open title and earned her second Q this morning with a first place in the small division.  One more to go!

In the afternoon outing we found both rats and did the climb but timed out before I could convince her to tunnel, therefore no Q. After waiting for many hours she was (and is, typically) more sedate in the PM trials so she both hunts slower and indicates less actively. We burned up a lot of our time finding those rats.  Finding the rats is critical, though, so she did the most important part just fine.

No brag topic for Dundee. While he did not Q in Novice in his two tries, he didn't pee in the ring either, so that was better than usual :P On his first run he should have Q'd but I failed to call his lackadaisical indication of what turned out to be the live tube after all. I need to calibrate better as he is not particularly prey driven. In our defense, his mother Sammy failed to Q as well, with a much better handler. 

Since our club put on an eye clinic this weekend I could only attend one day of this barnhunt in St Helens. Maybe later in the fall we'll get that final leg for Stella.

• Like 8

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Congrats Stella and Brad!  And an honourable mention to Dundee, for not peeing in the ring! :D

On August 8, 2016 at 9:12 AM, Autumn & Lola said:

Congrats Stella and Brad!  And an honourable mention to Dundee, for not peeing in the ring! :D

I've written about this before... When I went to the Westminister show in Madison Square Garden, the cairn terriers were brought out and paraded around the ring in the spotlight when one of them decided to stop and poop right then and there, to the delight of the crowd! I heard the person sitting behind me say to her partner, " That is so like a cairn!"?

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

3 hours ago, sanford said:

I've written about this before... When I went to the Westminister show in Madison Square Garden, the cairn terriers were brought out and paraded around the ring in the spotlight when one of them decided to stop and poop right then and there, to the delight of the crowd! I heard the person sitting behind me say to her partner, " That is so like a cairn!"?

Haha!  At least he didn't go for the judge like she were made out of ham. ;)

• Like 1

A friend sent me a video of our second (failing) run. Hear the desperation as I plead with the master earthdog to go through a tunnel the size of a cavern. A friend wrote about it

I can use it to show my friends who ask why I want a Cairn - it's the blithe unconcern with which they disobey you that I find charmingly cat-like.

Sigh.

• Like 4

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

I am sorry Brad I am laughing...no disrespect meant, but that's pretty much my experience with the terrier I have and terriers I have had. :P but at least you are still smiling!

Edited by bradl
remove unwanted spoiler tag

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

She did a fair job of checking things I was asking her to. If she moved as fast as she had in the morning we would have cleared the rats faster and I would have *eventually* talked her through that darned tunnel. My favorite part is trying to send her in then running to other end to call her through, with her tagging along outside as if to say "Where we going? Where we going?" 

Gotta love 'em.

• Like 6

Loved the video. And the only way Oban would have gone thru the tunnel is if I had crawled in front of him...good job, Stella.

• Like 1

I had a good laugh imagining Ruffy in that barn... His number one priority would have been to mark every square inch of the place!?

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!