CairnTalk

Mystery wheeze

Islander

So a week ago Gus quite suddenly started wheezing and reverse sneezing. At first I thought he was trying to bring something up. The next day I thought he might have kennel cough - a neighbour dog had it, although I didn't think they had been in contact. The day after that I didn't think it was kennel cough, and took him to my vet clinic. That was last Saturday, I was lucky to get an appointment or I would have gone to the emergency clinic. The vet (weekend person I had never met before) didn't think it was kennel cough. She said his heart, lungs, temperature were all good, and sent me home to try Benadryl and if that didn't work prednisone, and if that didn't work bring him back. Well, neither medication worked at all. I almost took him to emergency on Saturday night as he was breathing very heavily - now I think maybe a reaction to the prednisone, having read about Addie's experience. He was better the next day, but still having short bouts of wheezing brought on by activity, eating, etc. Took him back to one of my two regular vets, and on Wednesday she sedated him and looked down his throat. Both vets thought there might be something stuck there. She didn't find any foreign object, but there was a pussy discharge from one tonsil. Cytology showed bacteria and white blood cells indicating infection. So Gus is on antibiotics now - Day 2 and he seems to be improving but very slowly. He will be on the meds until next Wednesday. I am really hoping that he continues to improve. Anyone else ever experience anything like this? 

Glad the vet scoped him! No doubt the antibiotics will do the trick. Jock was a reverse sneezer all his life. Scared the heck out of me the first time and it was a rush to emerg. True reverse sneezing does not seem to affect them much...just scares the hell out of their owners. Hope Gus feels better soon.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Familiar with reverse sneezing but not with throat infection. How strange. How did he get it I wonder, swallowed something he shouldn't or what. Get better soon buddy.

Yes, the vet thought he might have swallowed a little piece of spear grass that got stuck back there and caused the infection…he apparently got rid of whatever might have been there, but discomfort persists. Vet said not to expect immediate relief after she had him intubated and was poking around down there.

Reverse sneezing has pretty well disappeared, now it is occasional "throat clearing" noise and sometimes a faint wheeze. Vet just called to check on him. I told them I will call back after he finishes the antibiotics.

Yikes! Tonsillitis in dogs???

Hope Gus is soon better.  Try giving him a little bit of  honey to sooth the throat.

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Very strange indeed.  Buffy had a similar problem several months ago.  The vet wasn't able to diagnose the exact cause but her best guess was a respiratory infection, so she prescribed antibiotics.  The difference is that Buffy was sneezing (not reverse sneezing).  With the vet's OK, I also sprayed a bit of plain saline solution in her nostrils 1-2x/day, which seemed to give her some relief.  

Hope Gus is back on the trails soon!

Poor little Gus. I hope the antibiotics do the trick and he is back to his old self quickly.

Well, just got back from a walk and Gus was the noisiest dog in the woods today! He seemed to be making up for all the lost barking time. Still a bit of a wheeze but he has definitely turned the corner. His energy is at its normal insane level.

Feeling quite relieved.

• Like 9

I'm glad to hear Gus is feeling better but sad to hear he was sick! It's silly now that I think about it, but I never would have imagined a throat infection in a dog, unless it was an abcess due to something stuck. 

Keep getting better Gus!

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Finished antibiotics today - Gus is all better!

Spent the day at the lake doing belly flops off the dock for everyone's amusement. Only problem was that he couldn't get back up on the dock and didn't figure out he could swim to shore because the kids weren't doing that. So Mom had to haul him back up on the dock every time and got just about as wet as him!

No more wheezing though!

• Like 5