CairnTalk

Miss Nellie, Sunday August 7

tlwtheq

First thing: Teddy had his first acupuncture yesterday.  No problem whatsoever.  We also got sent home with a Chinese herb, Wei Qi Booster. We got food instructions to supplement from two groups: Yin (Tonic) and Transform (Phlegm).  He's perked up a lot with the prednisone meds.  We'll see if the diet/herb combo helps with quality of life, which is what we're after..  We opted to not go for chemo, as cancer is a gene mutation, and unless you can tailor the drug cocktail to his particular gene mutation, you're just throwing the dice. Tailored chemo is not available for non-humans. Odd, I read that very few human doctors are offering chemo cocktail tailoring to their patients.

So, we're looking forward  to picking up Nellie on Sunday.  We have two concerns.  1.  Maybe, being sick, Teddy's not up for new company, and a spirited 3.5 year old might just get on his nerves.  2. Nellie will be able to detect Teddy's ill right away and won't warm up to him. I'm recalling how Sweet Pea treated Olie a number of years ago in a similar situation.  (Being brought home shortly after having puppies, age 4.  She wanted to kill Olie for 2 months straight 'til we got some training.)

What we know is that Teddy has no history of objecting to other dogs, and Nellie (we're told) is a cuddle pup who has no history of objecting to other dogs.  And she has a wonderful home where she lives with other Cairns.

I guess we'll see.

• Like 2

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Exciting times Tara! I am rather envious of the new Cairn that's about to enter your lives. I am sure after a few weeks of getting to know each other, it will all work out fine. I know I always worry about bringing in a new dog but it sounds line Nellie is a sweetie and Teddy sound like a kind soul also! Lots of pictures please.:P

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

If anyone can make this work it's you, Tara.  Take it a day at a time and I'm sure Nellie and Teddy will warm up to each other quickly.  Good luck and, as Terrier Lover said, take lots of pics!

Nellie will detect his illness, but she is going to treat him with dignity and respect. She will take care of him. They are going to love each other.

• Like 1

Well. 12 mths ago I had Holly who had cancer in her rib and I brought home a bouncy 6 mph old pup! And though some folk said to me I was mad to upset Holly, in fact Ivy was very good with her!  Alright they wrestled and played  but Holly was quick to tell Ivy off and so I would put Ivy in crate for a short time out.  I found I could not walk them together - one wanted to go go and the other wanted to be slow slow so ended up separate walks.  but Holly was very good with Ivy and Ivy seemed to know even at that young age that she had to be calmer.  They had three months together before Ivy was getting more and more time out because Holly was poorly.  However, she kept Holly going for longer than I was given.

Those who thought I was mad changed their minds when they saw how things were and have since said to me that they now realise it was a good thing as then I had Ivy to comfort me when Holly had gone.

I know Nellie is older but am sure that things will go well.

• Like 4

www.cairnterriertalk.co.uk

Yes, I am sure it will be fine. You will have 2 dogs used to being with other dogs and they will feel comfort in each other's presence. Remember - you have acclimated your dogs to living with a rabbit! I am so sure you can handle this, Tara. Congrats on the new dog in your lives - enjoy! A cuddle dog - even better!

It's good to read that Teddy tolerated his first acupuncture yesterday, he's such a good boy.  I've been thinking about Teddy lately, Packy too!   It's so hard not to when two Cairn Forum friends are going through so much, each in their own way.  I don't have a lot to say but I wanted to make sure I let you know that.

I too agree with everything said so far; I seriously believe that Nellie is going to be just what Teddy needs right now.  Can't wait to see pictures!

Teddy is obviously blessed to have you & Nellie will be blessed as well!  Hoping things go smoothly for you all!

Becky & Tanner