CairnTalk

Travelling with Rosie

Sam I Am

We are off to a cabin in the woods with Rosie. It's an 9hr drive and she does not adapt well to staying in the vehicle for that many hours and gets worried when staying in a new place. Last year she landed up giving herself colitis-worrying. This year we are going to try this http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/zylkene/. As per our vets recommendation. It works for some dogs and not on others. We will see if it takes the edge off her a bit. We do take her on short trips but she is definitely a home body. Jock was the total opposite...he didn't care where we went as long as he got to come along. I found  having Cairns and Scotties both, that Cairns are more Yahoo bring it on, while Scotties are more reserved, especially as they mature and definitely like their creature comforts. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Hope that once Rosie gets to the cabin, she will be so transfixed by new smells, sounds and sights that she will forget to be nervous!

Interesting comment re: Cairns and Scotties. I have always thought Scotties were more serious, less clownish.

i am sure you'll let us know how it works out!

• Like 1

Scotties are definitely more reserved. If you hurt a Scotties feeling be prepared to have them shun you. In Jocks case...ahh get over it mum and I will also. Very different in tempraments. Yet both still 100% terriers. 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Good luck on your travels Rosie. Hopefully you can curl up and sleep and wake up to all sorts of cool adventures. Tell your mummy to bring all your favorite toys and your crate and blankie so it feels like home. 

• Like 1

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

We aren't leaving yet till about mid August. But will report back about what the vet recommended. I thought perhaps it might also work for some of the dogs on the site that are afraid of thunder. Rosie isn't at all

Good luck to you on your trip.  I'll bet she thinks it's worth it once she gets there!  Packy & Kirby are both great travelers and if we ask them if they want to go, they're at the door ready to jump in the car.  We're lucky because we're always on the go.  Have fun!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Curl up in crate with blanky and sleep the journey away Rosie.

Sorry no other advice. Angus loves to go anywhere on journeys long or short. Probably because I take him with me pretty much everywhere and anywhere.

The last road trip we took with Pepper was to my friend's family cabin in Montana.  She traveled like a trooper in her crate.  However....when we got there Pepper went nuts!!! Chipmunks, gophers, deer, you name it!  She had an x-pen and nice crate, but it was not much fun for me.  The Cairn scream of death was heard by all!!!  She even managed to go after the chipmunk on the deck in the wood pile.  I pulled her out by her tail!!! Ha Ha!

• Like 1

Pepper's Mom