CairnTalk

Recommended foods

Rylee's mama

I joined cairn talk yesterday because I am getting a cairn in a few weeks. This is my first cairn and dog. I don't know what to feed him. Any recommendations on what to feed him?

Edited by Odin's mama

Idaho Cairns

We feed our Cairns regular kibble and they have been healthy for years.  There is a lot of discussion and not much in the way of research about what is the "best" dry dog food and we are all kinda on our own when it comes to getting high quality dry food.  It really does come down to what works over time.
We feed Costco Premium food now after years of feeding Blue Buffalo and have had no problems.
I would simply do a little research on dog foods (be warned, there is a bunch out there on the internet and it can get confusing), settle on a brand that was both inexpensive and well rated and go with that.

This site might help you in deciding what dog food you want to purchase. I have no personal recommendations so can't help you there. 

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

There are TONS of discussions on this forum about dog food. Find the search bar at the top of the screen and you can search for the number of food-related topics on here.

some feed basic kibble, some prescription diets, some special diets, and some home cook. 

Generally speaking, for kibble I think it's best to find a diet that uses meat as one of the first four listed ingredients (the first four ingredients are what make up the bulk of the food) instead of some type of meat "meal" meat "by product" or a grain. I also avoid foods made in or with ingredients sourced from China due to the regular recalls and issues with production safety.

I successfully fed Wellness Small Breed Puppy and Adult Health until my Addie developed food allergies. I switched to Wellness Simple which did alleviate her allergies. I finally settled this year on Acana Regionals, which is expensive but has completely cleared up her allergies. I had a terrible experience with Science Diet non-prescription foods (their prescription foods are however excellent if needed for health reasons).

If you got your pup from a breeder, you can ask them for a recommendation, as they're likely interested in giving their dogs high quality foods. Or you could contact a breeder. 

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Including above suggestions  some people also feed raw.There doesn't seem to be one special dog food for cairns. You Just have to do your research and find one you like and can afford and go with that. What does the breeder suggest?

I have found kibble mixed with a wet topper and a bit of water has worked well. I have not had any health or allergy problems with Angus so far. Currently using Wellness and or Wellness Core fish mixes. Open to change if he develops health problems.

The most expensive is not necessarily the best. Money goes into packaging and advertising to appeal to buyers. Read the small print.

And relax - you can go crazy with all the options out there. In fact I know doggy buddies eating cheapy 'no good dog food' and doing fine and others eating v.v. expensive food and not doing so well.

• Like 1

Fun!!  There's lots of advice on food on this forum and you will find this forum a fun place.  Little Odin - first cairn - first dog.  We will be seeing you back here. :D  We would love to see a picture of your new family member.  You will love these little hard headed determined creatures. Welcome.

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

me either so excited to get him. Next week I will post pics and in August when I get him flown to me cause he's in Florida 

Edited by Odin's mama
  • Like 1