CairnTalk

Newly adopted senior cairn terrier miserable with life - please help!

Rate this topic

mnlawrence

I really need help! Please read.

So I just adopted a senior cairn terrier (she’s 8-year-old). Her owner died, and she had a sister cairn terrier that was put down by the rescue because she was very sick. I’ve now had her three weeks, so not very long at all. She is my only dog, so there are no other pets in the household. (There are family pets, so she does enjoy spending time with the other dogs on the weekends.)

My problem comes with walking on the leash. She is insanely stubborn about walking on the leash. She loves walks, she’s perfectly comfortable having a leash on, but she absolutely under no circumstances will walk a direction she does not want to go. She grounds her feet with all her might and refuses to walk. I made the mistake of tugging on the leash and then picking her up and carrying her home. Since then, she absolutely will not walk on the leash. Which means (since I do not have a fenced-in yard) that she now refuses to pee or poop outside because she refuses to walk on the leash.

I should also mention: She is still very uncomfortable at my house. She never wags her tail. She still won’t eat. She’ll go days without eating and will finally give in and eat when she’s about to starve. So she won’t take treats from me either. She’s not a fearful dog, but so I would not say she’s scared, but she’s very unhappy with her life right now. It’s hard to encourage better leash behavior or a happier attitude when she refuses to take treats. So far, she’s held her pee and poop for 30 hours until she finally relieved herself on my rug. This was after so so so so many trips outside. I stood outside with her for over an hour, offering treats, offering reassurance, and she eventually lied down in the grass.

What do I do? Just give it more time? She must still be mourning her lost owner and sister. I know she’s very new and she doesn’t trust or like me yet… but I am worried about her health – holding her bladder for over 24 hours! That’s so bad. Please give me advice!

Edited by mnlawrence
  • Like 1

Oh wow. Firstly, welcome to the forum. :)

Until I got about half-way through your post, I was going to say it sounded like typical Cairn stubbornness. However, it sounds like much more is going on. Did the rescue give you any health history or any indication of her eating and toileting prior to you adopting her? Has she been like this the entire three weeks you've had her? Even if she is mourning/uncomfortable in her new surroundings, I've never heard of a dog holding it in for over 24 hours. I would be worried as well. Has she seen a vet?

• Like 2

I don't know that to say. Like Autumn it sounded like typical Cairn stubbornness. There are Cairn experts here so I hope they offer their advice.

I agree with Autumn. I would think a vet check would be first on my list. Have you tried walking her with another dog? Are her nails to long making it  uncomfortable to walk? Are her hips ok, sore legs? Does she run in the house?

in regards to her not eating. Did you ask the rescue people what they were feeding her? Perhaps she is used to only one kind of food. is she on a collar  or body harness? Our first Scottie absolutely refused to go for a walk when in a body harness. She  would basically just flop over on her side like a cod fish! Sorry for all the questions but perhaps you can pin point some of the issues she might have through some of our questions.? 

It must be a shock for a dog , especially some older dogs, to suddenly be in strange surroundings and new people. And who really knows what her previous situation was like. Perhaps she was with someone elderly, who just let her go on pee pads? Fed her home cooking? It's all a mystery.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I have her first vet appointment tomorrow, so I will definitely talk about it there. Maybe she needs antidepressants?

The rescue did not give me any medical history. Her foster mom had 10 foster dogs and they all ran around the backyard, so she didn't know her leash behavior. She did tell me she wasn't eating in the foster home, but she was only there for about a week.

The first week I had her, she walked fine. She peed on everything outside and had zero issues. Then the second week she started to get a little more stubborn, then a little more stubborn, then suddenly she wouldn't walk at all. After the time I carried her, she now won't take a single step with the leash on. She I carry her to the yard, place her in the grass, and she stands there... won't move at all. She ignores my treats and affection. It's making me so sad/worried. I don't know how to make it better other than wait it out.

(I have tried two different harness. They don't seem to make a difference. I'm feeding her what the rescue fed her. She does walk better with another dog, but unfortunately, she's my only dog...)

Edited by mnlawrence

She was definitely fed home-cooking, because she's very overweight. I know her owner was 58 and died from a long battle with cancer. She had a sister cairn terrier and they grew up together. Other than that, I don't know much about her past. 

I appreciate everyone's help!

What are you feeding her? I wonder if you put a little chicken broth, or shredded chicken in her food perhaps she will be tempted.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

She's much happier around my family's dogs, so she'll eat around them. Still refuses kibble, but she take meats. I'm currently feeding her Whole Earth Farms, Grain-Free Healthy Weight. I'm trying to establish a routine, so I don't want her to rely on eating snacks at random times. I have tried chicken broth on the kibble, but there's been no success.

She is a VERY stubborn old cairn! I grew up with beagles, so I thought I understood stubbornness! 

Edited by mnlawrence
  • Like 1

Idaho Cairns

Not having a fenced yard is a problem under these circumstances--do you have an area where she can be tethered for a period of time?  Cairns are stubborn but, from your description, this one sounds confused--probably a natural result of being uprooted from her old environment.
Have you tried taking her for a walk with the "family" dogs?  Perhaps you could borrow one of them for a bit until the rescue rocks into your home.
Otherwise, relax, keep taking her out on her leash, provide food--kibble if that is what you intend to feed--nothing worse than a Cain on a "preferred diet" that is concocted to encourage eating--they will let you cook all the hamburger, steak, pork chops you can to cater to them but I guarantee you that a healthy Cairn will not starve to death.
I'm guessing you are seeing separation anxiety in this dog and time and encouragement on your part should break down that natural fear--lots of talk, pets, walks, etc. should do the trick.

• Like 2

I don't really have any fenced-in area or a tether... I'm hoping she will just realize there's no choice but to walk on the leash. 

Besides problems eating, leash-walking, and peeing/pooping outside, she doesn't have any issues. She's shown no separation anxiety. I leave for work during the day and (I record her) she just sleeps on the couch.

I will see what the vet says, and I guess just keep sticking to the routine, hoping she eventually gets it.

Welcome to the forum!  

I don't have a lot to add to the above suggestions but I agree that your girl is probably upset/depressed/anxious about her new situation.  Although Cairns are generally very adaptable, her life has been turned upside down in the past few weeks and it's going to take a while for her to adjust.  The vet visit may shed some light on what's going on with her.  I think Idaho Cairns' suggestion about trying to walk her with other dogs in your family would be an excellent idea.  If she feels comfortable around these dogs maybe she'll loosen up a bit.  

Please stay in touch and let us know what the vet says tomorrow!

• Like 2

If and only if you do want to home cook (I do), under resources at the top of this page you will see a heading ,cookbook. It's broken down into  into recipes for uprights and recipes for dogs. My dog Rosie's home cooked recipe is listed. Otherwise a good kibble, and what you feel comfortable paying for also, should keep her healthy. Please let us know how you make out. There will be lots of really good suggestion from many of the posters on this site.

it's true that 8 is technically "senior" but for a cairn this is prime of life. if this is your first cairn, i can see how some of this might strike you as pathological, and i think all of us want to feel that she has had a basic medical okay before saying, a lot of this sounds like typicalrn cairn. but when i say that, i mean typical of a cairn dealing with some major transitions. dogs really do grieve and cairns --especially a mature cairn of 8-- have very deep feelings. so that is one kind of transition. on the other hand, cairns moving into new homes seem to have a pretty clear paradigm --first a kind of timidity and remoteness; then as confidence grows, a new stubornness and assertiveness. it is possible that you cairn is going through the transitions in very rapid succession. if so, be ready for the next phase --challenging you at every turn. but ultimately you will get to the tremendous affection and trust of these dogs. these are phases we all know. 

possibly the best response to all the transitions is just to be as consistent as possible about everything: schedule, your tone of voice, what you permit and don't permit, and especially your responses to her: be calm and fair, and never let her feel that she has learned to push your buttons. if she is feeling any insecurity (who wouldn't in her position), she might get into the habit of reassuring herself by getting control of you, even that means making sad or mad. they really do think on that level. i would suggest that whether she is timid or challenging, cooperative or stubborn, try to keep your affect the same. 

we have all been through these phases with our dogs and believe it or not it is the basis for a very close relationship. just a little later. cairns and beagles are very different. they are the same species only in the most technical sense. you will find testimony all over this site on the trials of trying to settle in or raise a cairn. but also on the unique rewards of gaining a cairn's trust. i think your original instinct might have been the right one: time. but add to that: consistency. 

• Like 3

I wish I had advice to offer but I don't have enough experience to be of any help! thank you, though, for adopting this Cairn and doing your best to give her a better life!

Perhaps wherever you adopted her from could provide some advice and suggestions on how to make this transition as easy as possible for her?

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

My one rescue Cairn T Bone settled in very very slowly and he was certainly as stubborn. And I don't think he was depressed - which must be an additional issue for your girl. What is her name, by the way?

Do you have a patch of grass in your yard? Perhaps you could get an x-pen and take her outside without a leash to get her to do her business. Or perhaps you could lure her with some high value treats? They don't have to be high calorie  - our dog Oban loves green beans, carrot bits and watermelon. Actually he would probably try to learn to fly for watermelon...

Please hang in there. Your pup has been through so many changes and needs some consistent love and care. She will come around with time - I am sure of it.

• Like 3

So great that you adopted this sweet girl who's been through so much...hang in there!

This is what worked for me when housebreaking Jax. Take her out to do her business, 10 minutes max, if she doesn't go but her in her crate or expen for 15-20 minutes then try again.  If no luck, repeat until she goes.

Once your dog goes, immediately praise like crazy and then give her freedom when she goes back inside.  My Cairn loves her freedom and it only took a few times before she caught on.

Hope this helps.  As others have suggested a trip to vet is necessary to ensure there are no physical problems. 

It sounds like she is just lost and struggling.

Hmmm.  Welcome.  8 is fairly young and I am happy you adopted her.  She is definitely upset and anxious.  I would play with her, sit with her and pet her and feed her by hand (start with human food, if that's what she's used to) and gradually transition to other foods.   As you build trust with her she will relax.  Make sure she has a safe spot.  Mine have a couple crate around the house (and numerous beds) that they can go to.  The crates are covered up with a blanket. My daughter used to rescue dogs and an x-pen is not a bad idea.  One little gal she rescued was so nervous and she put a little crate inside the x-pen and the x-pen was opened up so she could come out when she felt comfortable - it took a couple good weeks before she finally felt comfortable to poke her nose out.  Other dogs will help immensely.  Have the other dogs come over to your house - she will learn a lot from them.  Once she feels safe I am hoping she will evolve into a great little cairn. Good luck.  

• Like 5

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Hello and welcome to the forum.  I wish I had something more to add but I've read some great things so far.  Maisie, my 3 year old Cairn, is my first so I'm pretty new myself when it comes to caring for a Cairn.  I was going to suggest getting down on the floor with her like Dempsey's Mom. I have found Maisie to be much more engaging with me when I'm at her level.  I sit on the floor and play ball with her, she loves to chase it and bring it back to me, she's even learning to roll it back and forth using her nose.  Try teaching her some tricks using a clicker; she's still not too old to learn new things.   The most important thing is to be patient with her, it's going to take time for her to build up some trust.  Sounds to me like  your doing a great job.

By the way, what is her name?  Any photos of her yet?

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone! This is such a refreshingly nice online forum! :)

I took her to the vet today. He did not have any advice to training. But as far as her health, he said her back teeth have heavy tartar and are inflamed. He said one tooth looks infected and might need to be pulled. So she's scheduled for a dental next week. I offered her canned food today but she still didn't take it.

He also said it looks like she has beginning stages of arthritis in her legs. I have noticed she struggles on steps and jumping on the couch. Even just transitioning from standing to sitting takes her awhile... Perhaps she's older than 8? The vet said 8 is a good guess, but she's definitely not younger than that. She also has a few fatty tumors on her chest, but he said they are most likely harmless.

Her name is Luna. I made her my profile picture. She's black and silver/gray. A nice brindle coloring. She really is a sweet girl! Very calm and laidback besides the problems I've mentioned! Loves other dogs and children, loves back rubs, loves toys. I'm hoping her issues get better...

• Like 1

Idaho Cairns

I suspect they will--just give her time.  These little hard heads always seem to come around if they are given room and time.  "Luna"--good name for a Cairn.

the tooth problem could account for a lot of what you are seeing. inflammation tends to go body-wide, so taking care of the tooth could make her more comfortable all over. most cats over the age of 7 have some degree of arthritis and i wouldn't be surprised to learn that was true of dogs too. regular walking exercise after the dental work could make her more comfortable. if not, there are cheap and very effective ibuprofen derivatives that help with that problem. i think things will look up for Luna very soon --mostly because she found a caring person to live with. 

• Like 2

Thanks for posting the profile pic!  Luna is adorable!

Regarding the arthritis:  Buffy has some arthritis too and it seems to flare up in the humid weather.  I noticed you are in Missouri and I imagine it has been fairly hot and humid there.  We give both our dogs a supplement with their food - glucosamine with chondroitin (hope I spelled that correctly).  I take it myself, too.  I don't know if it has a huge effect but it seems to help.  

I agree with pkcrossley that the tooth problem may be affecting more than just Luna's eating.  It will be interesting to see what happens after her dental work.

You're doing a great job and it's wonderful that Luna has a happy home.  She will thank you for it, eventually.:)

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum from another Missouri Cairn family!  So sorry that Luna is having a tough time adjusting.  Sounds like she's made it to a good home though, and you'll do what you can to help her adjust.

As somebody said, 8 isn't really all that old for Cairns.  My Kirby is 8 and you'd think he was still a puppy at times.  Packy is almost 12 and can still walk forever and swim like a fish.  We live at Lake of the Ozarks, so my boys are always active in the water.  Once Luna gets her dental and back to health, and gets used to her new home, she may perk up and surprise you how young she acts.

As for walking in a leash, she may not have had to do that previously, so it's new to her.  If you search through the forum about walking on a leash, you'll see that it's a common challenge for Cairn owners.  Usually it's a puppy starting out, but you'll get the picture.  Try coaxing her to walk with you using a treat.  Cairns are smart and usually like to,learn new things, so make it a game with prizes (treats) and she'll probably get into it.

Good luck and welcome!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Thanks, again, for everyone's help!

Luna had her dental today, and they removed 4 infected teeth. She's now on antibiotics and pain meds. I'm a little annoyed the rescue I adopted her from didn't notice that... but I'm glad she'll be feeling better.

Also, she is very drowsy and confused from the anesthesia. But a drugged out Luna had no issues walking on the leash or peeing in the yard! Looks like the anesthesia suppressed some stubbornness... go figure. :) 

I will take everyone's very thoughtful advice and keep working with her. Hopefully with her mouth healing, she will be happier and more willing to cooperate. Thanks again!

• Like 8

The anesthetic can do strange things to their behaviour. Jock always acted peculiar but by the next morning was back to normal. Perhaps not eating hard kibble on bad teeth is why she wasn't eating? I am sure she will feel so much better now. You are a special person in my books for taking this little girl in and giving her proper medical attention and a loving home.:)