CairnTalk

Lawn chemicals

Sam I Am

A very good article on the use of chemicals used on lawns. I never use anything on our lawn due to the fact that Rosie likes the occasional grass salad, plus of course her body would be in contact with this stuff. Which I don't want to happen . 

https://rodneyhabib.wordpress.com/2016/04/28/study-finds-herbicides-in-the-urine-of-pets-after-home-lawn-chemical-treatment/

also so wanted to add a few notes. Over seeding with grass and a clover mixture really chokes out the weeds. Plus, the bees love the clover...an added bonus.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Back when we had a lawn, we never used anything either (even in the USA). It just made me nervous. As you said, even if they don't eat grass, they still roll and play in it, then sometimes put their feet in their mouth, etc. Once a guy came to the door to try to talk us into using his chemical company. I replied I wasn't interested because I had a dog. He insisted there was absolutely nothing harmful in the substance. I asked him to drink some in front of me. That didn't go down well. :D

• Like 4

Agree with the above.  Besides the environmental effects caused by overuse of lawn chemicals, I am convinced they irritate a dog's paws and respiratory system.  I *occasionally* spot-treat a small area with chemicals (only when nothing else will work) but I'm very careful to keep the dogs away from the area until we've had a good rain.

• Like 2

If it's green I mow it and that's all. There's clover and several grasses and multiple weeds and seedling trees and and and ..........Never have used chemicals on grass - I can't call the large bumpy rough area a lawn - not sure I'd ever want one. Too much wild life uses the area in addition to Angus. Too much anxiety for me trying to keep it like the pics on the packages!

• Like 2

Gah, lawn chemicals terrify me (with respect to dogs) and seem to fall into that category of Known Unknowns. I'm not going to avoid interacting with the world but it means that the dogs (and ourselves) will be exposed to who-knows-what sometimes. 

I try to follow the advice of the Scottie breeder who introduced us to earthdogging. On road trips choose the crummiest grass to potty on … the really nice grass probably got that way with treatment.

Sidebar: I pretty much hate rest stops. They dogs are always finding something either disgusting or outright dangerous on the ground. Discarded chicken bones near picnic tables seems to be a favorite.

• Like 3

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

We had extended family members who had 4 dogs in succession, (golden, chow and 2 schnauzers) die from cancers in their early prime of life over a reatively short span of years. They lived in an upscale neighborhood of severely manicured, fertilized, chemicalized, perfect lawns, constantly tended to by professional gardeners. The dogs were out on their lawn daily and in addition to playing, they toiletted there as well so the gardeners would routinely reseed and fertilize the brown spots, using who-knows-what-chemicals.

To be fair, I think they kept the dogs off the lawns for a few days(?) after the gardeners' visits, but we all speculated... some attributing the early deaths to herbicides... Others to the (high-quality $$$) processed dog food.

Who knows?

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

When I feel we have to fertilize (which is rare as I feel nature will take care of most things in her own time and way) I have used liquid kelp.  As you can see the garden is doing fine and is happy, as I am. No guarentees in life, but staying natural, to me will improve this sad little globe we live on in many many ways. I don't use any pesticides either. Just a heavy dose of water sprayed kills a lot of little bad critters.

image.jpeg

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 7

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Wow! That is amazing! (I searched and searched and searched again, but I couldn't find Rosie in the picture)! Never mind... It's still drop-dead gorgeous!

Edited by sanford

FEAR THE CAIRN!

The real Cairn lives in spirit...the fake one is by my rose garden out of view.:wub: Oh no he is there to the far right.

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

Idaho Cairns

I think I see him off in the distance but what a pretty place to Cairn around in!  I'll bet the dog loves the various habitats to adventure around in but my dogs are simply going to have to envious of yours because there is no way I'm going to do all the work you obviously have gone to in my back yard!  My hell, I do like looking at it and wondering what twilight, with a good book, and my girls would be like in your lovely back yard.

• Like 2

As a fellow gardener I must say WOW!  Nice job, Lynn!

I don't use chemical fertilizers on the garden either.  My fave is fish emulsion - smells awful but the plants love it.  (Um, and Buffy and Ziggy love it too.  You know how dogs are - the stinkier it is, the more they want it.)

• Like 3

On 6/27/2016 at 5:55 PM, Terrier lover said:

When I feel we have to fertilize (which is rare as I feel nature will take care of most things in her own time and way) I have used liquid kelp.  As you can see the garden is doing fine and is happy, as I am. No guarentees in life, but staying natural, to me will improve this sad little globe we live on in many many ways. I don't use any pesticides either. Just a heavy dose of water sprayed kills a lot of little bad critters.

image.jpeg

Your garden is lovely, so warm and charming.....I would love to pull up one of those Adirondack chairs and sit for a while.:D

• Like 1

Agree!  Cairn party in Lynn's garden!  It's way to inviting not to visit. :D

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

Anytime! :hug:

• Like 1

I love your yard. 

On June 27, 2016 at 5:55 PM, Terrier lover said:

image.jpeg

wish I could garden that well.

Edited by Odin's mama
Spelling error

Ahh thanks. It's a labour of love. Just don't ask me to ever sew, knit or crochet...I am domestically challenged. :whistle: