CairnTalk

Licking the wall?

Autumn & Lola

Lola does some strange things. She likes to lick our leather couch. When she does this, she goes into 'the zone'. She won't do it for long, but it's still weird. Tonight I saw her licking the woodwork/skirting board in the kitchen, and then the kitchen wall. This is the first time I've seen her do that. I have no idea why she'd suddenly lick the wall. Again, she didn't do it for long, but she seemed to be enjoying it. Any others that do this? Any idea if it means anything?

• Like 4

Gus's buddy Tucker, a mini daschund, has an obsession with licking floors - hardwood, carpet, lino - anything. Sometimes he will lick the couch. It drives his mom a little nuts, and she has tried to figure out why he does it, to no avail. Google suggests it is attention seeking behaviour. I think he does it much less frequently when I am caring for him, so may be part of the weird enmeshed relationship between a single dog and a single owner. (Gus and I have our own weird and wacky dynamics but floor licking is not featured!)

• Like 2

Are you being a wild cook and flinging food in all directions?:lol:

• Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Count Buffy as one of the lickers in the group.  She has, at various times, licked the floor, linens, baseboards . . . whatever suits her fancy.  

• Like 2

Baseboards!  That's the word I was trying to remember.   I asked Nick, "What did I use to call those things at the bottom of the wall before I heard the term 'skirting boards' all the time?"  He couldn't remember, either. So thanks for that.

No flinging food here, at least not in that area of the kitchen. :D

Well I'm relieved that there are other lickers of strange objects. Maybe they get itchy tongues? :lol:

• Like 1

Robby is not a big licker.Sometimes when we are in the park  he will find a something that smells extra good he will stick out his tongue and taste it.

• Like 2

Dempsy & Elsie - comforter on the bed - I always thought it was the fabric softener. 

• Like 2

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

18 hours ago, Autumn & Lola said:

...She likes to lick our leather couch. When she does this, she goes into 'the zone'. Tonight I saw her licking the woodwork/skirting board in the kitchen, and then the kitchen wall. Any idea if it means anything?

In humans this is called OCD, (obsessive/compulsive disorder). The humorous writer, David Sedaris describes in one of his books when he was a youngster, walking home from school each day, he couldn't pass a mailbox without touching, licking or kissing it. Same thing with the light switch at home or in school.? But don't despair for Lola... David says that the compulsion went away when he took up smoking, so there may be hope for Lola yet!?

• Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

5 hours ago, sanford said:

In humans this is called OCD, (obsessive/compulsive disorder). The humorous writer, David Sedaris describes in one of his books when he was a youngster, walking home from school each day, he couldn't pass a mailbox without touching, licking or kissing it. Same thing with the light switch at home or in school.? But don't despair for Lola... David says that the compulsion went away when he took up smoking, so there may be hope for Lola yet!?

Oh wow, didn't think of that. :D  Maybe I should read that book. I went through a very short period when I was young (about 12) where if I touched something with my hands outside my home (like in a store), I'd have to 'wipe it off' with my arm. I have no clue why. It only lasted a few months, thank goodness. :D

Tanner is also a licker - the carpet & tile in the kitchen, as well as sometimes the couch.  We've never figured out why & have never been able to stop it.

It does mean I vacuum more frequently than I might normally, just be sure he's not consuming anything, but other than that, we've just accepted it as one of his quirks.

• Like 1
Becky & Tanner

Ah well, it sounds like it's nothing to worry about, just something they like to do. Like me doing my nails. I'm sure Lola wonders why I bother. :D

Another licker here, Maisie licks the couch, the comforters, our hands and the floor.  We're usually able to redirect this behavior once we get her attention, but like Lola, she's often out in the zone somewhere totally oblivious to what's going on around her.  Terrier thing maybe?

• Like 1

Sounds like a lot of dogs on this forum have a neurological disorder.  

Ignore.

Sounds like a great idea.

• Like 5

Rosie nibbles, sheets, comforters and toys. If something one owns and Rosie nibbles it, it means it is well loved by her. :lol:

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Rosie here Lola,

if you let me lick your couch and especially the kitchen walls(because I am sure your mum is flinging food around) you can come and nibble on my toys and blankets. :beer:

• Like 2

Hiya Rosie! Lola here. That sounds like a great idea!  We can have a lick-a-thon! :D

• Like 2