CairnTalk

Early morning on the bunny trail

Hillscreek

bunny.jpg

It's baby bunny time here. Not as many as in past years. In fact the last three years have been lacking bunnies on the one trail we walk on. We go out early in the summer and a couple of days ago a few bunnies and their babies were out and about. Happy, eager Angus was hunting and pouncing around in the brush looking for a snack. He could never catch a grown up bunny I'm pretty sure. As he was doing this I saw the teeniest bunny I have ever seen. Maybe his/her first day out and about. It was sitting in the grass at the edge of the trail, whiskers twitching, little brown eyes looking trustingly around, enjoying the early morning sunlight. So adorable and cute. It didn't even move when I came close. "Oh my gosh" I thought "it won't have a chance if Angus comes this way, plus if he catches it I will have to wait till he eats it as there is no way he will give it up." I went up to it and gently stirred the grass with my hiking stick. With tiny hops it made its way to safety just as hairy cairn came hurrying by. Guess I needn't have worried about the bunny as Angus could barely see. He had got into stickers from last year. A couple were right by his eye which was protected by his shaggy eyebrows being pulled over. That was one lucky bunny. And a lucky Angus. His eyebrows make him look cute but they are also a great protection.

• Like 6

Happy ending...it would be tough to see Angus  eat a baby bunny!

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Good work, saving the little bunny from the fierce Cairn.  You did something we all strive for:  You outsmarted your dog!:P

• Like 1