CairnTalk

Strange goings-on

Autumn & Lola

*Warning: graphic description*

Today Nick and I went out for a few hours while Mathew stayed home with Lola. Lola didn't eat her breakfast this morning, which is not unusual. While we were out, Mathew threw out her uneaten breakfast, and later gave her one large treat. When we got home, she greeted me enthusiastically (which *is* unusual, because she's all about her daddy when we're out for a few hours). We put our shopping away, etc. and Nick called me into the bedroom. She had vomited all over our bed. Later we found some more on my husband's telescope, and on the mat next to the back door. She had never done that before - vomited in several places. Usually, once it's out, she's done.

The vomit was strange. It was a light brown, and smooth and kind of sticky. It was also not in a pile (sorry!)  like it usually is, but kind of like, 'strings' of it, almost like she projectile-vomited.  Even weirder is that it kind of smells like rubber cement. We have no rubber cement in the house, and there is nothing we can see that she got into while we were out. Anything poisonous is in drawers or cabinets. She's not one to eat strange things, or go searching for trouble.  We put down a smaller dinner than usual, and she hasn't touched it. Nor has she drank much water. (She usually drinks a good amount each day.)  She is active, maybe just a *tiny* bit more subdued than usual.  Right now she is playing with Nick on the floor.

She usually vomits her dinner about 1x a month because she'd rather be playing than eating, and wolfs down her dinner. But like I said, this is really different, and there was an awful lot since she only had the one treat, however large. The not drinking worries me.  Any ideas on why it would smell like rubber cement?

What kind of treat was she given? Stringy might be grass? A house plant? I think I would phone your vet as they are so tuned into different kinds of vomit and might identify the consistency and odour. If it it toxic she needs to see the vet asap. 

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

i totally agree, this has enough of the elements of a poisoning case to call the vet or just take lola there. do you have any of the vomit that you can give to the vets for analysis? vomiting is a good sign in a way --it means she has expelled a lot of whatever was giving her problems. but there could be plenty left, which means chelation or other antidotes might be necessary.

your description sounds like a bit like bile, which means the liver could be involved. if the vomiting is true projectile vomiting, it suggests a blockage (consistent with her not eating breakfast).  there is always a possibility that she has had an attack of pancreatitis, in which case it will be essential that she be hydrated and get supportive care. 

i don't know why her vomit would smell like rubber cement, but if the aroma is acetone then it is possible she swallowed aspirin. do you have anything in the house like turpentine? chocolate? xylitol? protein-rich foods like turkey or chicken?

you are right to be worried about not drinking. you need to find out what, if anything, she ate before knowing whether it needs to be flushed out, brought up, neutralized or whatever. the vet might be able to give you good advice over the phone, but if their answer is that you should bring her in, best to be on the way when they tell you that. 

Edited by pkcrossley
  • Like 4

Just saw this.  I agree that a call to the vet may be needed.  It's a good sign that Lola is playing but not so good that she isn't drinking water.  I hope the situation gets resolved ASAP.  Ziggy is concerned about his girlfriend and sends his wishes for a quick recovery.:wub:

• Like 1

How very frightening! I would be anxious too. I'm pretty sure I'd calling my vet since this sounds to be so atypical for Lola. Fingers crossed. Keep us updated.:hug:

• Like 1

I'm late to this urgent sounding situation, but will offer the following:

This being a holiday weekend, I wonder if your vet will be available. If all else fails, you can Google "Pet Poison Hotlines/Helplines". I've called in the past and the phones are attended by vets 24/7. (There might be a nominal fee involved). They were very helpful  and even made a follow-up call to me to check on Ruffy's progress, which I greatly appreciated.

Most of us know that bouts of vomiting can sometimes seriously dehydrate a dog and Lola not drinking is more cause for concern... Another reason to get her to the vet ASAP if she needs to be rehydrated.

Good luck! I hope Lola will be Ok.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 1

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hi all. Thanks to everyone for your concern. What a night. We ended up calling the emergency vet as Lola absolutely refused any water. VERY unlike her as she normally drinks quite a bit. While we were waiting for a call back, she decided to take some water from Nick's hands, and then from her bowl, to our relief. The vet asked us a lot of questions, and was satisfied with the answers that we didn't need to rush over there. Lola's poops last night (after I wrote my initial post, she had two) were completely normal, and she peed normally. She didn't vomit again (so it's been at least 18 hours now since she did). We can see absolutely nothing that she may have ingested. We have no house plants (aside from three tiny cactus that are well out of her reach), and nothing just laying around that could poison her. The step-son's room is a worry, since it's always a train-wreck, but I went up there and inspected and found nothing alarming - well, nothing within Lola's reach, anyway. The fact that she wanted to play and run around at 3 am suggested that she is feeling better. We all got a few hours' sleep on the couches with her and this morning she drank a good bit of water. We were told to look for a few things and the vet called us at 7:30 a.m. to check up. So far, so good. We were supposed to go visiting this morning but we've cancelled. We are keeping a close eye on her. A half hour ago she was standing near her treat box as she often does, looking at me to give her one, which I didn't, but I was glad she is showing some interest.  At the moment, she is barking her fool head off at the neighbor's dog, so that is a good sign as well.

• Like 5

What a relief to hear that Lola is feeling better today!  I hope it was an isolated incident and nothing that will cause future worry.  Could someone have tossed something in your yard that Lola ingested?  Ah well . . . you could speculate forever on what caused it but the important thing is that she is apparently over the hump.  

• Like 2

great news, especially about peeing and pooping. did the vet make a suggestion about her diet for the next few days or weeks? did he/she have any comments on the smell of the vomit? and since her own behavior is implicating the treats --just for general information, is it a cured meat treat? grain? is it something she had had before?

so glad this seems to be straightening out, was the first news i checked today. 

• Like 1

Thank goodness. I just woke up and was worried about Lola, but have my iPad bedside so am much relieved at the good news! 

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Just got to this as I was swamped yesterday. Glad I missed the drama - it is always so hard when they get a sick and you can't figure out what is going wrong. Take care of your little Lola - glad she is okay.

• Like 1

Hi again everyone,

Well, I think the little stinker is back to normal. We also think we determined the cause of the weird vomit - lots of bird poop. Seems an enormous flock of birds (that's what it looked like, :D) decided to let loose simultaneously next to our back gate. We didn't notice it in the twilight last night, but there were definite paw prints in it and swooping marks (like Lola licked it up). I've not known her to eat bird do-do before, so I didn't suspect it. What on earth makes them think that is something to eat??!  So I guess it wasn't the treat at all (a packaged, grain-free treat which she has had many times before).

The vet did suggest (when we later told her that Lola was acting normally and drinking almost as normal) that we could try her with a light supper of boiled chicken or lean mince and rice, and she all of the small bowl we offered. We're to keep it light for a few days.  The vet didn't comment much on the smell of the vomit when I told her it smelled like rubber cement, but to say, 'Hmmm'.  I have to give her top marks for being so attentive and trying to reassure us, since Lola was pooping, peeing and playing as normal.

Anyway, sorry to cause a ruckus. The not drinking really concerned me. Thank you all for your concern and suggestions! :)

Glad Lola's back to her old self.  As far as a dog eating bird poop...well Cairns will eat out of the cat box, so

bird poop..why not?  :)

• Like 2

Max and Nelly
signature.jpg.1a2f02ae93418630654caf879c6d4783.jpg

Ok...well more of :cry::sick:

• Like 1

Oh, and I realized something last night. Remember I said when we got home (before Nick discovered the vomit) that Lola greeted me very enthusiastically?  Well, she licked my whole face and my mouth. After she ate the bird poop. And after she puked. EWWWWW!

• Like 4

Gross...  But I'm glad the fright is over, the cause has been identified, and you're all on the mend. For the record, my dog has always been very interested in bird leftovers on the driveway... He moves from spot to spot to sniff and mark over them. As if birds care about that type of territory marking. XD he used to think the pellets the deer left in the yard were fun crunchies to bring into the house. Thank goodness he outgrew that fascination. Blech. Dogs... 

• Like 1

Autumn I know my DH get angry when birds un load on the hood of the car....it tends to discolour/peel the paint. Just a thought, after Lola licked your face , perhaps she  turned your :whistle:clock back a few years.....a bit like a chemical peel from the dermatologists. You might be into something there.

• Like 3

I missed this whole event too - glad little Lola is back to normal.  Sorry about the bird poop. :)

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

11 hours ago, Terrier lover said:

Autumn I know my DH get angry when birds un load on the hood of the car....it tends to discolour/peel the paint. Just a thought, after Lola licked your face , perhaps she  turned your :whistle:clock back a few years.....a bit like a chemical peel from the dermatologists. You might be into something there.

As I will be 49 next week, this is welcome news. :D:D

• Like 2