CairnTalk

Can't reply to a topic without including quotes

hheldorfer

Brad, I'm trying to reply in the 'Well Padded Cairns' topic but as soon as I click on the "reply" box it brings up three previous quotes from the same topic.  Glitch?

The editor (text box we type in) occasionally has previous content that I sometimes have to delete. That's related to the editor's caching (it can be a lifesaver if you accidentally navigate away from the page in the middle of composing a reply) but I've not seen it spontaneously including quotes from previous posts.  That doesn't seem to be what you're describing though.

Having actual quotes from multiple previous quotes sounds like the "multiquote" feature. It's purpose is to permit addressing quotes from  several different posts in a single reply, sort of like this:

Person A said: 

something (always always trim quotes to the bare nugget you are responding to)

Here's what I have to say about THAT.… something something

Person B said:

something (always always trim quotes to the bare nugget you are responding to)

And here's what I have to say about THAT... etc.

If you accidentally clicked on a few "+" signs before replying you might see what I think you're describing. 

multi1.png 

The plus signs change to a check mark if they're going to be quoted. You can "unquote" the post by clicking the checkmark to toggle it back to its normal state.

multi2.png

If any posts are going to be multi-quoted, this little note pops up in the lower right corner of the page:

multi3.png

Does what you saw look like it might have been a multi-quote?

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks Brad.  I was not trying to quote any previous posts but the "reply to this topic" box was automatically bringing up three miscellaneous quotes from previous posts by other people.  Anyway, I figured out how to delete them and was finally able to reply.  Appreciate your quick answer!