CairnTalk

Mars brush

Account Deleted

Account Deleted

We had our home inspection from the Cln Potter Cairn rescue, the lady told us about a Mars Brush...does anyone have any experience with this product? Do you recommend it?

I use one occasionally (size 16). It's a popular tool for quick and casual grooming. It can be overdone but is  particularly good for taming a wildly overgrown coat. 

The is a lot of discussion of the pros and cons of the mars coat king. Here's a link to the results of putting 'mars coat king' into the search bar at the page top: http://www.cairntalk.net/search/?type=all&q=mars+coat+king

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Moggie... I think what you are referring to is called "Mars Coat King", used as Bradl recommended (above). 

The idea behind the Coat King is that it is meant to pull out the hairs that are fully grown and ready to be released from the follicles - instead of cutting them, which you never want to do to the coat of a cairn. In fact, the Mars Coat King does end up cutting some hairs, but over-all it preserves the natural look of a cairn without creating scissoring/cut marks, which are antithetical to a cairn's appearance.

Edited by sanford
  • Like 2

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I use one on Buffy from time to time.  Buffy's coat fits Brad's description above - "wildly overgrown".  Unfortunately it has always been this way (except when she had been clipped, prior to us adopting her).  I strip what I can - mostly on her legs, around her ears and on her face - and the Coat King keeps the rest under control (meaning "not looking like a yak that has been roaming the wilderness for years on end").

• Like 1

I must admit it's the only thing I ever used on Jock. He had that wild child look about him and that was ok by me.  Rosie get the clippers...when she lets me without turning into a bowl of jello. Ever tried to hold moving jello?

• Like 1

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

I use one on Dempsy also once in a while.  I like.  I don't over brush though.

• Like 1

Elsie, Max, Meeko & Lori

I use it on Packy & Kirby periodically.  As others have said, it's great to help clean up the yak look quicker than hand-stripping.  I use w variety of tools (the MCK, stripping knives, comb, Furminator, etc.) depending on my mood.

• Like 1
Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney