CairnTalk

Puppy love with Poopy

SadieOwners

We have a wonderful 15-week-old Cairn female that we have owned now for about 6 weeks. :D She consistently tries to eat her bowl movements. :( We talked to our vet about it and he told us to use 'Adolph's Original Tenderizer' in her food to discourage her from eating it. We found after only a few days that this made her pee a whole lot more. And didn't stop her from trying to eat. (Mostly because the main ingredient is salt) To make a long story short, will she grow out of this adventually or should we be worried? :?:

dear "Puppy poopy eater" My Carin is a little more than a year old and has been doing the poop eating thing for about 6 months. I have tried everything. meat tenderizer, red peeper (just a dab on their food) and I ahev even run outside after my dog does his business and put red peeper on his poop. No matter what I try, he still enjoys poop alamode. I have given up. If he wants to eat his poop than let him, hopefully one of these days my dog will get tired of it or get ahold of some bad poop and then he will get tired of it. I really don't have an answer, except get used to it. sorry.....good luck and if you should happen to run acrossa cure, please post and let me know. Thanks

John

Grow out of it, probably not. You can prohibit the action by training the puppy to come to you right when they are done poopng. This means keep thwm on the leash until all their business is done. As soon as they finish pooping have the pup come to you. Do this by giving a tug on the leash as soon as they finish, and if they don't come "reel" they in. Once they have reached you reward with a treat, or better yethave them chase a ball, thrown in the oposite direction of the poop. While you pup it distracted, you go pick up the poop! Over time, my yorkie was 1 year when he stopped, my cairn is 7 mo and she is doing OK, you will see results.

I have tried the food additives and found, like you , that they cause other problems.

Good luck

Chris

this problem of eatig stool is not disgustig to dogs as it is to us. not all the food injested is used by the body and there is food value left in the stool. this is kind of a recycling process on your dogs part, and would be practicle in the wild if food is scarce. one thing that might help is to feed an easily digested food(less to recycle) and look into feeding a natural enzyme to aid digestion(check at your local healthfood store) i have also heard of feeding pineapple and zuccini. you may want to try this. even if it doesn't help it's a lot better than putting meat tenderizer inside your dog. good luck

Archived