CairnTalk

Best in show

Sam I Am

So I love my Rosie dearly and never had the urge to show, for one reason I don't have a clue and secondary  I suppose because her mum and dad were lovely but not  of show "stock" . But here is the kicker ...her two siblings from another litter but the same parents as Rosie both have won best in show at two different shows. So perhaps that might inspire someone that wants to enter the show ring but can't necessarily afford to pay the big dollars from some of the well known winning kennels puppies. 

Edited by Terrier lover
  • Like 2

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

Adventures with Sam &Rosie

Interesting!  Still, Rosie is a practical Scottish lass and doesn't have time for things like dog shows.  She's far too busy keeping Mr. Squirrel out of the yard.;)

• Like 4

It's OK to be pretty  if that's what you want BUT I think there's more fun, and important, things to do-----Angus

e083ba71-0e96-4df3-8852-990ab931ee4b.jpg

Picture by British artist Harrison Weir 1879

Edited by Hillscreek
grammar
  • Like 3

To quote Lord Grantham of Downton Abbey: Golly Gumdrops! ?

That is the most amazing looking cairn I have ever seen and I would kill for Ruffy to have a coat like that! 

I'm telling myself to calm down and realize that the painter took skillfull artistic license with his rendering of the fabulously wild looking cairn.

(I might never strip Ruffy's coat again)!

• Like 4

FEAR THE CAIRN!

Hi Angus, Rosie here. I agree because if you saw the way my mum clips my coat, I would be laughed out of the ring. Besides Jock always told me that when in a sticky situation, bite first and ask questions later. :) I never did learn to do that as I always role over on my back to get a tummy scratch.  My mum and dad always call me a weenie..... I think that means they love me. :wub:

• Like 6

Until one has loved an animal, a part of  one's soul remains unawakened.  - Anatole France

3 hours ago, sanford said:

To quote Lord Grantham of Downton Abbey: Golly Gumdrops! ?

That is the most amazing looking cairn I have ever seen and I would kill for Ruffy to have a coat like that! 

I'm telling myself to calm down and realize that the painter took skillfull artistic license with his rendering of the fabulously wild looking cairn.

(I might never strip Ruffy's coat again)!

I don't know if I should be ashamed or proud to admit this, but Buffy's coat looks a lot like the 'wild looking Cairn' in the picture.  :shy:

• Like 5

Here is a friendly challenge:

I'm not ready to believe that any cairn alive has a coat to rival the Weir painting, but I would love to see photos of Buffy, Kirby, others that prove me wrong!

OK cairn owners...Bring it on!?

• Like 3

FEAR THE CAIRN!

I think Idaho and Whits dogs have pretty luxurious coats. :P:P

• Like 1

I'll try to get a good pic of Buffy this weekend, maybe after we take her to the forest preserve and let her go for a swim in the pond.  She is usually in her most yak-like state after that.  :P

• Like 4

On April 14, 2016 at 2:50 PM, hheldorfer said:

I don't know if I should be ashamed or proud to admit this, but Buffy's coat looks a lot like the 'wild looking Cairn' in the picture.  :shy:

Kelly's does too.  I tried to strip Kelly and Prissy both a couple of months ago. I removed a lot but never did finish. hehe

• Like 1

Here is Addie's untamed mane today.  

image.jpeg

• Like 7

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

A few more recent ones. I can't get her hair to stay in one direction anymore, regardless of how much I brush.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

"as far as i am concerned cairns are the original spirit from which all terriers spring, and all terriers are cairns very deep down inside." pkcrossley

Addie today. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Her hair at its most tame. 

image.jpeg

• Like 5

There we go...Addie is ready for a postcard picture. Her ear fluffs are perfect!

• Like 3

Note that this picture was taken less than 24 hours after daycare gave her a bath, blowdry, brushing, and nail trim (what they refer to as their "spa" experience). There is not a tangle in that coat. 

2 hours ago, _whits_ said:

Here is Addie's untamed mane today.  

image.jpeg

• Like 2

OK, here are Buffy's entries for the 'Yak Hall of Fame'.  These were taken when we got back from a walk in the woods (and dip in the stream) today.  Wish I could have gotten a pic of her standing up.  Then you could have seen the 'mud line' on her legs.

buffy yak2.jpgbuffy yak1.jpg

• Like 4

I think Addie and Buffie are neck to neck...except Addie has better ear fluffs. :P

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Terrier lover said:

I think Addie and Buffie are neck to neck...except Addie has better ear fluffs. :P

Great . . . now Buffy's feelings are hurt.  She spends SO much time making sure her ear fluffs are just right.:lol:

• Like 4

Buffy, I AM SO JEALOUS. Mommy took me on a walk yesterday but would NOT let me go into the woods. I had to stay on the grass at the park. Boooooring. I would give just about anything to have some good grime on me right now. Except you are SO BRAVE to go in WATER (did you seriously go in water?!!). My mommy let me walk down something called a "pier" yesterday and DID NOT TELL ME IT WAS OVER AND SURROUNDED BY WATER. I had to throw myself down on the ground and hold on tight to the wood just to keep from drowning until mommy finally go it through her stupid head to pick me off and take me back to the park. I'm also jealous cause I think your mommy trims your ear hair whereas my mom doesn't touch mine (even when they dangle inside my ears) except to PULL THE HAIR OUT (who does that when there are scissors?!).

Kisses, Addie

Edited by _whits_
  • Like 4

My apologies Buffy...I meant yours were more groomed where Addie's are a bit more "organic". I :wub:adore both of you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, _whits_ said:

Buffy, I AM SO JEALOUS. Mommy took me on a walk yesterday but would NOT let me go into the woods. I had to stay on the grass at the park. Boooooring. I would give just about anything to have some good grime on me right now. Except you are SO BRAVE to go in WATER (did you seriously go in water?!!). My mommy let me walk down something called a "pier" yesterday and DID NOT TELL ME IT WAS OVER AND SURROUNDED BY WATER. I had to throw myself down on the ground and hold on tight to the wood just to keep from drowning until mommy finally go it through her stupid head to pick me off and take me back to the park. I'm also jealous cause I think your mommy trims your ear hair whereas my mom doesn't touch mine (even when they dangle inside my ears) except to PULL THE HAIR OUT (who does that when there are scissors?!).

Kisses, Addie

Of course I went in the water, Addie!  Water is FUN, plus it makes your hair even wilder AND you get to keep that stream-in-the-woods smell on you for days afterward.  The woods are great too.  There's deer poop, squirrel poop, raccoon poop, coyote poop, fox poop, groundhog poop . . . let's see . . . I think that covers it.  It's a 'poopouri' of sniffs!

The ear thing:  I HATE it when mom messes with my ears.  And what IS that thing about PULLING THE HAIR OUT??  Humans are soooooooooo stupid!

Slurps,

Buffy

• Like 4

• 9 months later...